Raleigh plans downtown vigil to remember mass shooting victims
READ MORE
Raleigh mass shooting in Hedingham neighborhood
On Oct. 13, 2022, seven people were shot in Raleigh, NC, in the Hedingham neighborhood near the Neuse River Greenway Trail. Five were killed, including a Raleigh police officer. High school student Austin Thompson was charged with their murders. Read The News & Observer’s ongoing coverage of the mass shooting, Thompson’s guilty plea and ongoing civil lawsuit.
Expand All
Raleigh will host a vigil Sunday to remember the five people who were shot and killed in last week’s mass shooting.
It will be a chance for the community to gather and work toward healing after the mass shooting in the Hedingham neighborhood Oct. 13, said Raleigh Mayor Mary-Ann Baldwin.
The vigil, called “Raleigh Healing Together,” is scheduled 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in front of the Raleigh Memorial Auditorium on 2 E. South St., in downtown.
The shooting rampage made international headlines, and questions remain about what transpired in northeast Raleigh. The Police Department will issue a five-day report this week with a chronology of what happened.
The people who were killed were: Nicole Connors, Susan Karnatz, Mary Marshall, James Thompson and Raleigh Police Officer Gabriel Torres. Two people were injured. The suspect is also hospitalized with unidentified injuries.
The City Council held a moment of silence Tuesday with Baldwin reading each of the victims’ names.
Speakers on Sunday will include the NAACP and Moms Demand Action along with elected officials and community faith leaders.
“There is nothing more powerful than seeing a community come together,” Baldwin said during a meeting Tuesday after announcing the vigil.
More details about the vigil will be released in the coming days on the city’s website at raleighnc.gov.
The memorial will come a day after the funeral for Torres, which will be open to the public. The details are:
- Visitation: Friday, Oct. 21, 4 to 7 p.m. Mitchell Funeral Home, 7029 Glenwood Ave., Raleigh
- Funeral: Saturday, Oct. 22, 11 a.m. Cross Assembly Church, 2660 Yonkers Road, Raleigh.
Gov. Roy Cooper said U.S. and N.C. flags will remain at half-staff at state facilities through Sunday at sunset.
This story was originally published October 18, 2022 at 4:24 PM with the headline "Raleigh plans downtown vigil to remember mass shooting victims."