Luke DeCock

Duke fumbles, bumbles away a potential statement win. The ACC will regret it

Duke’s Tre Freeman reacts following an Illinois touchdown during the second half of the Blue Devils’ 45-19 loss on Saturday, Sept. 6, 2025, at Wallace Wade Stadium in Durham, N.C.
Duke’s Tre Freeman reacts following an Illinois touchdown during the second half of the Blue Devils’ 45-19 loss on Saturday, Sept. 6, 2025, at Wallace Wade Stadium in Durham, N.C. The News & Observer
Key Takeaways
Key Takeaways

AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.

Read our AI Policy.


  • Duke squandered a potential upset with five turnovers and critical penalties.
  • ACC lost a key chance to claim a Big Ten win amid CFP auto-bid pressures.
  • Turnover margin now sits at minus-6 through three games, raising red flags.

These are the games that kill you, as a team, as a program, as a conference. It’s hard enough to win in college football without making it this hard on yourself.

Duke did everything it needed to do to beat No. 11 Illinois on Saturday, moving the ball down the field and attacking the quarterback. The Blue Devils were undone by errors of commission, not omission.

Turnovers. Penalties. All contributing to a 45-19 loss in a game that the Blue Devils won’t find much else to complain about on film.

“We were the architects,” Duke coach Manny Diaz said, “of our own demise.”

And so an opportunity to beat a big-name opponent at Wallace Wade — on the heels of the early win over Clemson two years ago, and the historic win over Florida State last year — slipped through the Blue Devils’ hands like the muffed punt that set up Illinois’ first touchdown.

If this hurt for Duke, it may have hurt the ACC even more. The Blue Devils will have other chances to get to where they want to go. The ACC at large doesn’t have many to post wins over Big Ten and SEC teams, not only in service of this season but for ammunition as it fights a war for survival against the Big Ten’s auto-bids proposal for an expanded CFP.

Duke head coach Manny Diaz looks on from the sidelines during the first half of the Blue Devils’ game against Illinois on Saturday, Sept. 6, 2025, at Wallace Wade Stadium in Durham, N.C.
Duke head coach Manny Diaz looks on from the sidelines during the first half of the Blue Devils’ game against Illinois on Saturday, Sept. 6, 2025, at Wallace Wade Stadium in Durham, N.C. Kaitlin McKeown The News & Observer

Because in this new CFP world, every single game against another power conference has far-reaching implications, and throwing-slash-bumbling away a chance to post a win against any Big Ten team, let alone one coming off a win over South Carolina in the Citrus Bowl, hurts every ACC team. A game like this could have long-term implications for the league’s aspirations of getting Clemson, Miami and Florida State into the field this year, let alone anyone else.

Until Illinois locked the game down in the fourth quarter, Duke had been outgaining and out-first-downing the Illini by a reasonable margin, in command, on cruise control, down a point at the half with every opportunity to pull away. But that’s not all there is to this, and the utter failure to take care of the ball was too much to overcome against a quality opponent.

“You take the good from that and carry that on, then you take the bad and fix it,” said Duke receiver Andrel Anthony, who had a pair of touchdown catches.. “It’s a long season.”

Which makes a loss like this especially painful for everyone. Duke did the hard part. It outplayed Illinois for three quarters. Then it stepped on rake after rake, preventable errors spiraling into an avoidable defeat that was closer than the score made it look, but with only the Blue Devils themselves to blame for it. The fifth turnover, at least, came after the result was no longer in doubt. The first four were fatal.

Duke’s Andrel Anthony is tackled by Illinois’ Leon Lowery Jr. and Kaleb Patterson during the first half of the Blue Devils’ game on Saturday, Sept. 6, 2025, at Wallace Wade Stadium in Durham, N.C.
Duke’s Andrel Anthony is tackled by Illinois’ Leon Lowery Jr. and Kaleb Patterson during the first half of the Blue Devils’ game on Saturday, Sept. 6, 2025, at Wallace Wade Stadium in Durham, N.C. Kaitlin McKeown The News & Observer

And even if Duke may have gotten an unkind whistle from one of the Big Ten’s best crews — a no-call on an apparent hold that set up an Illinois touchdown was particularly egregious — the officials didn’t make Duke send out two guys with the same number for a punt return to give the ball back to Illinois at a critical moment in the third quarter, as bone-headed as it gets, and the officials certainly didn’t muff a punt or cough up a three fumbles. Duke did that all on its own.

“It felt like trying to do too much,” Diaz said. “If I had to think of our turnovers, the game is decided on six or seven plays — holding onto a ball too long, not throwing it away or scrambling or whatever, and doing extra things, fighting for extra yards, all with good intentions.”

It’s difficult to draw too many sweeping conclusions from this as far as Duke is concerned. It’s hard to imagine the Blue Devils going minus-5 in the turnover battle again, but they certainly won’t win at Tulane or against N.C. State over the next two Saturdays if they can’t show progress in that department. Throw in the opener against Elon, and the Devils have committed six turnovers and forced none. That’s verging on a trend, and unquestionably a recipe for underachievement.

Saturday, it was a recipe for disaster. A winnable game was within Duke’s grasp, and the Blue Devils couldn’t hold onto the ball. They’ll regret this one immediately. The ACC, perhaps, even more by the time the season is over.

Never miss a Luke DeCock column. Sign up at www.newsobserver.com/newsletters to have them delivered directly to your email inbox as soon as they post.

Read Next

This story was originally published September 6, 2025 at 3:56 PM with the headline "Duke fumbles, bumbles away a potential statement win. The ACC will regret it."

Luke DeCock
The News & Observer
Luke DeCock is a former journalist for the News & Observer.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER