Was shooting tied to home break-in? Search warrant suggests motive in Durham killing
AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.
- Derek Sterling was fatally shot in August 2022 in Durham.
- Investigators arrested two Durham men on first-degree murder charges.
- A search warrant alleges the motive involved revenge for a break-in.
More than three years after a Durham man was fatally shot on Hillsborough Road, a newly released search warrant hints for the first time of a potential motive in his killing.
Derek Sterling, a 41-year-old Navy veteran, was killed outside a tobacco shop just before 6:30 p.m. Aug. 30, 2022, The News & Observer previously reported.
Frederick Johnson, 56, of Durham was arrested a little over a week later on a charge of first-degree murder and has remained in jail ever since.
But a second man was also charged in Sterling’s killing, The N&O has learned. Christopher Mikel Hunter, 54, of Durham was arrested in March 2023 on a charge of first-degree murder.
Police believe the pair conspired to kill Sterling after Sterling allegedly broke into Hunter’s house several weeks before the shooting, court documents state.
Here’s what we know.
‘Don’t say nothing’
Johnson quickly became a suspect after surveillance footage captured a man matching his description shooting at Sterling from a gray Acura sedan, according to the search warrant.
“The gray sedan traveled toward Mr. Sterling and the window of the vehicle rolled down,” the warrant states. “The video showed Mr. Sterling turning his attention to the gray sedan before suddenly flinching and running toward the VIP Tobacco and Vapes store.”
Two days after Sterling’s death, a towing company told police it had towed a car like the one captured in the footage on Mayfield Circle, “less than 3,500 feet west of the scene of this crime,” a detective wrote. The make, model and damage to its body matched the sedan driven by the shooter on the surveillance video.
The vehicle came back registered to Johnson’s girlfriend, according to the warrant.
Hunter became involved a week after the shooting, when he called the detective on the case under a different name, the warrant states.
“Mr. Hunter further stated that he was not involved in Derek Sterling’s murder despite assaulting Mr. Sterling the previous month after he believed Mr. Sterling had conspired with unknown persons to beat him (Mr. Hunter) and rob his house,” a detective wrote. “Mr. Hunter stated he now believed that Frederick Johnson and Derek Sterling had conspired to rob his home and that Mr. Johnson had killed Mr. Sterling because Mr. Sterling was blackmailing him about the robbery.”
But Johnson’s cellphone records showed he’d spoken to Hunter right before and after the shooting, according to the warrant. And in a jail call between Hunter and another man two weeks before Sterling’s killing, Hunter claimed Sterling had “set [him] up” to be robbed Aug. 10, 2022, the warrant says.
Hunter also claimed he’d assaulted Sterling with an accomplice after the home invasion, saying, “I could have thrown him in the car, but he got away,” according to the warrant.
Doorbell and home security camera footage from Hunter’s home reviewed by police at the end of September 2022 captured Hunter and Johnson together after Sterling was shot, the search warrant states.
“The Ring video footage from August 30, 2022, also showed Frederick Johnson arrive at Mr. Hunter’s residence at 6:24 P.M. and remove what appeared to be a handgun from his waistband and give it to Mr. Hunter,” a detective wrote.
The pair went into Hunter’s room, where Johnson could be heard talking about the shooting and Hunter apparently wiped down the gun, according to the warrant.
“[Hunter] asked Mr. Johnson what he needed, and Mr. Johnson asked for a number of things to include ‘a new ratchet,’ which is common slang for a gun,” the warrant states. “Mr. Hunter gave Mr. Johnson what appeared to be crack cocaine and cash.”
“Before leaving the room, Mr. Hunter told Mr. Johnson twice ‘Don’t say nothing,’” the warrant continues.
The gray Acura sedan could be seen parked in the back after Johnson arrived, according to the warrant.
Hunter pleaded guilty Sept. 19, 2024, to accessory after the fact of first-degree murder, court records show. In exchange for his testimony at Johnson’s February trial, Hunter will receive a mitigated prison sentence, which will be determined after Johnson’s trial . Until then, he’ll remain in the Durham County jail.
The murder charge against Hunter was dismissed as part of his plea arrangement, according to court documents.
Johnson’s trial is set to begin Feb. 9.
This story was originally published January 26, 2026 at 10:21 AM with the headline "Was shooting tied to home break-in? Search warrant suggests motive in Durham killing."