Durham County

Is Durham ready for a new renaissance? Here’s what the mayor said in his city address

Durham Mayor Leonardo Williams
Durham Mayor Leonardo Williams ABC11

From musical performances to Bull City hand gestures, Durham Mayor Leonardo Williams sought to remind residents Tuesday night of his love for and commitment to improving the city.

In his nearly 40-minute State of the City speech, Williams listed accomplishments in his first year as mayor and his plans to prioritize public safety, low-income neighborhoods, homelessness and the city’s youth. He also highlighted Durham’s educational partnerships between its colleges and universities, and upcoming events for potential homeowners.

But before his remarks, the 43-year-old former teacher and restaurant owner walked out on stage to Durham group The Southern Brothas performing “Durham is Dope” and a recorded video of local college students sharing why they love the city.

“Durham is dope, and our shared loved for this city is the reason why,” Williams said. “We’re here to celebrate the resilience and capacity to love one another, and that has become an anchor of this community.”

A nod to the city’s first Black mayor

Williams took a moment of silence to honor Durham’s first Black mayor, Chester Jenkins, who led the city from 1989 to 1991, after serving on the Durham City Council for eight years.

Jenkins died in 2009 and his widow, Leola, joined Williams on stage to accept a bouquet as he proclaimed Feb. 18, 2025, “Chester Jenkins Day.”

“Mayor Jenkins was a fearless leader and a pioneer in the city,” Williams said. “His decisions while in office shaped this community.”

Mayor Leonardo Williams was joined on stage at the 2025 State of the City address on Feb. 18 by his wife, Zweli, and local rapper Hezter Boi at the end of the night.
Mayor Leonardo Williams was joined on stage at the 2025 State of the City address on Feb. 18 by his wife, Zweli, and local rapper Hezter Boi at the end of the night. Kristen Johnson The News & Observer

‘Durham needs results’

Williams said public safety is the “number one issue we are all concerned about.”

He reminded the audience that he was committed to funding efforts to address the issue and highlighted existing programs that help, like the city’s HEART program, which connects people experiencing non-violent, mental health events with unarmed specialists.

As of December, the program has helped 25,000 people in crisis since it launched in 2022, Williams said.

“But as successful as we’ve been, we still have a lot of work to do,” he said. “The toughest calls that I receive on my job are from concerned parents, family members, teachers as they recall maybe a young life that could have been saved [by] earlier intervention.”

Williams called gun violence an “epidemic” that “disproportionately affects our young Black boys.”

Several teenagers and youth leaders attended Monday’s City Council meeting to ask for more money for youth programs.

As of Feb. 8, 19 people have been shot this year, four of them fatally, according to the city’s latest data. At the end of last year, 41 of the 220 people shot were between the ages of 16 and 34.

“What Durham needs is action. Durham needs implementation,” Williams said. “Durham needs results.”

Last August, Durham launched the Bull City Future Fund along with United Way of the Greater Triangle and Triangle Community Foundation to create supportive programs for young people. Williams said they have raised half their initial $1 million goal and need more donations.

The mayor also listed partnerships with Durham Public Schools, N.C. Central University, Duke University and Durham Technical Community College, like the Durham Early College of Health Sciences, which will help students earn a high school diploma and associate degree, opening this fall.

Mayor Leonardo Williams recapped his first year in Durham and highlighted goals for the future in his 2025 State of the City address on Feb. 18.
Mayor Leonardo Williams recapped his first year in Durham and highlighted goals for the future in his 2025 State of the City address on Feb. 18. Kristen Johnson The News & Observer

Durham’s next renaissance

Williams also addressed the city’s plans to revitalize the Fayetteville Street corridor and Hayti district.

The district is getting $10 million in American Rescue Plan funds to make the corridor “cleaner and more attractive to residents and businesses” while preserving the culture and history of the area. The same investments are being made to the city’s “paper streets,” or undeveloped and unmaintained areas, he said.

Among the programs and partnerships he listed, Williams said Forever Home, Durham, a program that funds housing stability services for residents, has created over 1,000 new rental homes and placed 1,000 formerly unhoused people in permanent housing. The city had over 400 people experiencing homelessness as of 2024, according to a city report.

“This is one of our biggest issues,” Williams said, adding that he wanted to find a holistic strategy to address housing affordability and “affordable living.”

Williams ended his address by noting the city’s resilience and growth and its consistent ranking as one of the best places to live.

“We can’t be afraid to dream big, we cannot be afraid to do big things. It’s time for Durham’s next renaissance, and I hope you’re ready for it,” he said.

This story was originally published February 19, 2025 at 8:00 AM with the headline "Is Durham ready for a new renaissance? Here’s what the mayor said in his city address."

Kristen Johnson
The News & Observer
Kristen Johnson is a local government reporter covering Durham for The News & Observer. She previously covered Cary and western Wake County. Prior to coming home to the Triangle, she reported for The Fayetteville Observer and spent time covering politics and culture in Washington, D.C. She is an alumna of UNC at Charlotte and American University. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER