Crime

How an NC police officer allegedly used his job to rape a woman

A newly released search warrant in the rape case against a former Benson police officer provided new details on the allegations Monday.
A newly released search warrant in the rape case against a former Benson police officer provided new details on the allegations Monday. The News & Observer
Key Takeaways
Key Takeaways

AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.

Read our AI Policy.


  • Peter Alphonso Blake was arrested last month on multiple charges including forcible rape.
  • The warrant alleges Blake met the victim during a theft call and returned to assault her.
  • Blake was an officer with the Benson Police Department at the time.

A former Benson police officer accused of raping a woman allegedly met her while responding to a theft call, a newly released search warrant states.

Peter Alphonso Blake, 33, of Clayton was arrested last month on multiple charges, including forcible rape and kidnapping, The News & Observer previously reported. He had worked for the Benson Police Department since August 2025 and was fired the day of his arrest.

The victim was interviewed by State Bureau of Investigation agents April 8, the date the alleged assault occurred, according to a search warrant. During the interview, she told detectives Blake had come to her neighbor’s house that day to investigate the theft of an iPad, the warrant states. It’s not clear how, but Blake somehow met the victim during that call, according to the warrant.

“Approximately ten minutes later, Officer Blake returned to [redacted] townhouse to ask her more questions about the stolen iPad and ask [redacted] if he could search her residence for the stolen iPad,” the warrant states.

When the woman agreed to a search, Blake allegedly asked to look at “a small object in a corner of her house” by her washing machine, according to the warrant. As the woman approached the object to inspect it, Blake allegedly pushed her over and sexually assaulted her.

After Blake left, the woman reported the assault to a friend, who then told a Dunn police officer, the warrant states. That police officer informed their supervisor, who contacted the Johnston County DA’s Office. The SBI became involved at the DA’s request, The N&O previously reported.

The woman completed a sexual assault evidence collection kit at a local hospital and brought a rag with her that Blake allegedly used after the assault, according to the warrant. Blake was indicted on charges of forcible rape, kidnapping, burglary and involuntary sexual servitude May 4, court records show.

Blake remained in jail with his bail set at $5 million secured as of Monday afternoon. Should he make bail, he may not contact the victim or anyone at the Benson Police Department and must surrender his passport, court documents state.

This story was originally published May 18, 2026 at 4:51 PM with the headline "How an NC police officer allegedly used his job to rape a woman."

Lexi Solomon
The News & Observer
Lexi Solomon joined The News & Observer in August 2024 as the emerging news reporter. She previously worked in Fayetteville at The Fayetteville Observer and CityView, reporting on crime, education and local government. She is a 2022 graduate of Virginia Tech with degrees in Russian and National Security & Foreign Affairs.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER