Crime

Student accused of bringing a firearm to a Wake County middle school will be charged

A lockdown has been lifted at a Wake County middle school after a student allegedly brought a firearm to school on Thursday morning, according to the Wake County Sheriff’s Office.

There is no known threat to the students, a news release said. The identity of the student who brought the gun is protected by state law due to their age.

The Wake County Sheriff’s Office is filing a petition to charge the student, according to a release.

River Oaks Middle School on New Bern Avenue in Raleigh issued the Code Yellow lockdown at 9:45 a.m. after an unloaded firearm was found in the multipurpose gym.

A school resource officer at River Oaks received a report about a student having a weapon on campus and the school immediately located the student before contacting the Wake County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies swept the school with the help of a K-9. The sheriff’s office did not say what type of firearm was found.

What is a Code Yellow lockdown?

Code Yellow lockdowns are only established if something is happening in the community that may be a threat to the school, but there is no imminent threat, according to the Wake County Public School System. Students must remain inside the building during the lockdown, and normal daily activities continue.

The lockdown was lifted at 12:55 p.m., the school system said in a statement.

River Oaks is an alternative school serving students who need more support than is offered in a traditional school setting.

“Bringing a weapon to school is a very serious offense,” the statement read. “While we cannot share information regarding disciplinary action for an individual student, know that state law requires a 365-day suspension of any student in possession of a firearm.”

Education reporter T. Keung Hui contributed to this report.

This story was originally published December 5, 2024 at 3:04 PM with the headline "Student accused of bringing a firearm to a Wake County middle school will be charged."

Kristen Johnson
The News & Observer
Kristen Johnson is a local government reporter covering Durham for The News & Observer. She previously covered Cary and western Wake County. Prior to coming home to the Triangle, she reported for The Fayetteville Observer and spent time covering politics and culture in Washington, D.C. She is an alumna of UNC at Charlotte and American University. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER