December is the month of sweet dreams and sweet treats, so it seems fitting that several businesses would mark Monday, Dec. 4, as National Cookie Day.
Neither of the other faux holidays celebrated on Dec. 4 – National Sock Day and National Dice Day, according to Nationaldaycalendar.com – strike as sweet a note, although a pair of warm socks goes really well with a plate of cookies and a cup of cocoa on a cold day.
Matt Nader, owner of Blue Chip Cookie Company, started the holiday in 1987, but the history of the cookie actually traces back to the early 1600s and the Dutch settlement of New Amsterdam, according to Culinary Lore.com.
New Amsterdam’s residents would celebrate festive occasions with little cakes called “koekjes.” The word stuck, even after the English – who call their cookies “biscuits” – took over, evolving into the word “cookies” we know today.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
But which ones are the most popular?
That varies by state, according to a recent Nestle Toll House survey that gave 5,024 people nationwide a choice of 57 varieties of cookies.
If you live in North Carolina, the survey found, you might be partial to chocolate chip cookies without nuts. That also was most popular pick for one in three Americans surveyed, Nestlé reported. Their favorite texture: soft and chewy.
You can try an old favorite or find a new flavor with these #NationalCookieDay deals being offered today:
▪ Cinnabon: The chain is launching its limited special “Cookie BonBite” today. Buying a Cookie BonBite will get you a free 8-ounce bottle of fairlife Ultra-Filtered Milk to wash it down while supplies last.
▪ Great American Cookies: Get one free original chocolate chip cookie at participating stores Monday. North Carolina stores are located in Winston-Salem, Fayetteville and Rocky Mount.
▪ Insomnia Cookies: Get a free traditional cookie – Chocolate Chunk, Double Chocolate Chunk, Peanut Butter, Classic with M&M’s, Snickerdoodle, Sugar, Oatmeal Raisin, Double Chocolate Mint, or White Chocolate Macadamia Nut – with any in-store purchase. Stores located in Chapel Hill and Raleigh.
▪ Nestlé Toll House Café by Chip: Get one free regular cookie per person at participating locations. Stores located in Durham, Greensboro and Smithfield.
▪ Penn Station East Coast Subs: With any sandwich purchase Monday, get a free chocolate chunk cookie bite. Stores located in Durham and Morrisville.
▪ Whole Foods Market: Get 50 percent off items at the cookie bar.