If you are using the Letgo marketplace app, you might want to take extra precautions after three people reported robberies during scheduled sales in Durham.
Police are investigating three armed robberies involving Letgo transactions that have been reported on the 600 block of Troy Street within the past eight days. No injuries were reported.
All of the incidents involved out-of-towners who made arrangements through the application that lets you list and sell your stuff, police said. They all met someone on Troy Street to purchase either phones or gaming equipment and were robbed of cash at gunpoint. The robberies took place at different locations on the street, said police spokeswoman Kammie Michael.
Police are investigating the following robberies:
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald Sun
▪ On Sept. 3 at 9:40 p.m. a man went to Troy Street to purchase a used gaming console. He was robbed at gunpoint by three men.
▪ On Sept. 8 at 7:50 p.m. a man went to Troy Street to purchase an iPhone. Two men approached him and put a gun to his head. They fled with cash and his wallet.
▪ Sept. 10 at 9:40 p.m. a man went to Troy Street to purchase an iPhone. He was robbed at gunpoint by two men.
Anyone with information on these robberies is asked to call Investigator B. Riley at (919) 560-4440, ext. 29303 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.
Here are some safety tips from the Durham Police Department:
▪ Be cautious and trust your instincts. If something does not feel right, leave.
▪ Meet in a public place (for example, a fast food restaurant) and during daylight hours.
▪ Tell a friend or family member where you are going, and take a friend with you, if possible.
▪ Don’t carry large amounts of cash or divulge personal information.
▪ Be wary of last minute changes in the meeting location.
▪ Save any and all communications with the seller/buyer (text messages, emails, voicemails, etc.).