Guitarist and composer Kaki King will bring her multimedia show “The Neck is a Bridge to the Body” to The ArtsCenter in Carrboro March 2, 1018, part of the venue’s 2017-2018 season announced this week.
In her show, King plays her compositions while images related to the history of the guitar are projected onto the instrument. In a video on her website King explains how the composition is her tribute to how the guitar “totally shaped my life.” She writes on her website that the work “lays bare The Guitar’s inner life and protean power, the Instrument serving as an ontological tabula rasa in a creation myth unlike any other.” Her other multimedia works include “The Surface Changes” and “Anthropomorph.”
On Sept. 14, guitarist Bill Frisell will perform his new composition “Harmony,” a tribute to American music of the last century. Frisell’s new band includes vocalist Petra Haden, cellist Hank Roberts, and multi-instrumentalist Luke Bergman.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Tickets for the season go on sale Monday, July 10 at 919-929-2787 or at www.artscenterlive.org.
Here is a list of other artists who will perform during the 2017-18 season:
▪ Sept 27 — Mykki Blanco with ZenSoFly
▪ Sept. 29 — Jake Xerxes Fussell & Nathan Bowles with House and Land and Trio Huracan Hidalguense
▪ Sept. 30 — Matthew Stevens with The Hot at Nights
▪ Oct. 5, 6, 8 — Manhattan Short Film Festival
▪ Oct. 12 — The James Hunter Six
▪ Nov. 2 — Ranky Tanky
▪ Nov. 10 — John McEuen & Friends present: “Will The Circle Be Unbroken”
▪ Nov. 18 — Mile Twelve
▪ Dec. 1 — The Gibson Brothers: North Country Christmas
▪ Dec. 13 — Dar Williams
▪ Jan. 12 — Jason Marsalis & the 21st Century Trad Band
▪ March 1 — Vieux Farka Touré
▪ March 23 — Ken Waldman & The Wild Men, featuring Riley Baugus
▪ April 27 — Jayme Stone’s Folklife