Entertainment

Revenge of the ’80s: New Kids on the Block are coming

The lineup for New Kids on the Block’s “Mixtape Tour.”
The lineup for New Kids on the Block’s “Mixtape Tour.” Photo courtesy of Live Nation.

New Kids on the Block are coming to Raleigh next summer, and bringing the ’80s with them.

The proto-boy band’s “Mixtape Tour” will play Raleigh’s PNC Arena on July 7, headlining a bill laden with former MTV hitmakers: rap groups Salt-N-Pepa and Naughty By Nature, plus not just Tiffany but Debbie Gibson, too. I think we’re alone now (not to mention down with OPP).

All five acts are on a new single that plugs the tour, the aptly titled “80s Baby.”

The American Express pre-sale commences at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 9. For everyone else, the general public on-sale date is Friday, Oct. 12 at Ticketmaster.com or the PNC box office, or by phone at 800-745-3000. Prices have not yet been announced.

At their late-1980s peak, the New Kids were briefly the biggest band on earth with a run of parenthetical hits, including “You Got It (The Right Stuff)“ and “I’ll Be Loving You (Forever).”

Following a mid-1990s breakup, during which time Donnie Wahlberg became an actor (and later a burger magnate), the group reunited a decade ago.

For those keeping up with Wahlberg’s culinary side project, Wahlburgers, the question definitely is whether he’ll visit the new Raleigh restaurant, which opened in May after much anticipation in downtown Raleigh.

Earlier this year, Drew Doss, regional director of operations for the Carolina Burger Company, told The News & Observer that they would love for any of the famous Wahlbergs to visit the new restaurant.

But while the restaurant has the Wahlburgers name, Doss said there wasn’t a guarantee of an appearance.

David Menconi: 919-829-4759, @NCDavidMenconi

The celebrity-founded Wahlburgers restaurant, which opened to great anticipation in May 2018, has closed according to a post on its Facebook page.

Related stories from Durham Herald Sun

  Comments