Orange County

Chapel Hill fire crews clear small gas leak at Elliott Road shops

Firefighters are clearing up after responding to a gas leak call on South Elliott Road early Friday morning.

Chapel Hill Fire Department crews arrived on the scene just after 8 a.m. at the Eye Care Center at 235 S. Elliott Road. After reporting they could smell a “strong odor of gas,” emergency officials evacuated the eye center and other Elliott Square shops as a precaution.

Public safety spokesman Ran Northam said the crews found a small gas leak at the Monterrey Mexican Restaurant next door to the eye center and were taking care of it. The restaurant has had similar problems with gas odors in the past, fire officials reported.

Tammy Grubb: 919-829-8926, @TammyGrubb

  Comments