Durham County

Hillside’s Corey Mitchell released from hospital after being injured against Northwood

A scary collision injured Hillside High School football player Corey Mitchell on Friday night and required a trip to the hospital for him.

Hillside coach Ray Harrison said on Saturday that Mitchell was treated and released from UNC Hospital and was recovering at home.

“I spoke with him last night after he went through all the tests and he’s going to be all right,” Harrison said.

When Mitchell, a junior safety, was injured, he was cared for by numerous doctors and athletic trainers from Hillside and Northwood where the Hornets were playing. Harrison said they quickly assessed Mitchell’s injury and stabilized his condition while they waited for an ambulance to arrive.

Northwood athletics director Jason Amey said the school usually has an ambulance on site for its football games unless there is another call which requires an emergency response.

“Typically there is an ambulance here unless they’ve been called to an emergency,” Amey said. “But with the doctors and trainers who were at the game, they had the situation under control. We’re glad it wasn’t more serious.”

Mitchell was surrounded by teammates when he was loaded into the ambulance and transported to the hospital. Harrison said Mitchell will have to go through mandatory concussion protocol before being able to play again.

It’s not the first time this season that Hillside has been involved in a game that resulted in a serious injury. In their junior varsity game against Orange on Oct. 12, Thys Oldenburg of Orange suffered a head injury that has kept him at Duke Hospital since then. Oldenburg, 14, has been in a medically-induced coma while receiving treatment for the injury.

Hillside (4-5, 3-2 Big Eight 3-A) went on to win the game 35-28 to hand Northwood (7-3, 4-1) its first loss conference loss of the season.

Mitchell’s injury wasn’t the only significant injury during a game Friday night.

Orange’s Payton Wilson, who has committed to North Carolina, was knocked out of the Panthers’ contest at Cedar Ridge after returning the opening kickoff. He left the contest and did not return. He spent the rest of the game on the sideline with his right knee wrapped in ice.

On Saturday Wilson tweeted out that the injury wasn’t so serious, calling it a “minor setback.”

Even without Wilson, Orange (7-2, 4-1 Big Eight) cruised to a 42-0 win over the Red Wolves (1-9, 0-5).

Joe Johnson: 919-419-6678, @JEJ_HSNews