A Durham man has been arrested and charged with robbing 10 places, including pawn shops, Subway restaurants and gas stations.
The U.S. Marshals Joint Fugitive Task Force arrested Ramonte Hershell Pettiford, 25, Tuesday, Sept. 12, in a parking lot at the intersection of N.C. 55 and Riddle Road.
All the robberies involved guns and the suspects, which involved up to three people, usually took cash, police said. No one was injured in the robberies.
Pettiford also faces an attempted robbery and other charges.
A second man – Jontavious Kyree Lyons, 24, of Durham – was charged with committing three armed robberies. Lyons was arrested on Aug. 31 in Alberta, Virginia, and brought to Durham on Sept. 12.
The third person hasn’t been identified, police said.
Pettiford is in the Durham County Jail under a $5 million bail. Lyons is in the Durham County Jail under a $2 million bail.
Durham police investigators charged Pettiford with committing the following robberies:
▪ Murphy Express at 1039 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. on June 26.
▪ Picasso Pawn at 5004 N.C. 55 Highway on July 8 and Sept. 9.
▪ Friendly Jewelry and Pawn at 2731 Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd. on July 10.
▪ National Jewelry and Pawn at 2334 Guess Road on July 24.
▪ Tienda Mi Pueblo at 1408 Avondale Drive on Aug. 21.
▪ GameStop at 3415 Westgate Drive on Aug. 22.
▪ Boost Mobile at 2330 N. Roxboro St. on Sept. 1.
▪ Subway at 401 East Lakewood Ave. on Sept. 5.
▪ Subway at 4711 Hope Valley Road on Sept. 7.
Pettiford also faces an attempted robbery charge for an Aug. 8 incident at Mechanics & Farmers Bank at 2705 Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd.
Lyons was charged with robbing National Jewelry and Pawn on July 24, Metro Express at 2500 Erwin Road on Aug. 21, and Murphy Express on Aug. 23.