A three-story apartment building at the Falls Pointe at the Park complex, 100 Cascade Falls Lane, was damaged Saturday afternoon by fire.
Durham Fire Department Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi said firefighters were dispatched to the scene at 2:59 p.m. and reported heavy fire in the front of the building. He said the fire was quickly extinguished and no injuries were reported.
The fire damaged six apartments and displaced 10 adults and five children, Iannuzzi said. The American Red Cross was called to assist those residents.
Iannuzzi said investigators determined that the fire started on a second floor balcony and extended to the third floor and attic. He added that the fire was accidental and caused by either an electric smoker or the extension cord supplying power to it.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.