Latest News

Cary High band director who had been suspended has now resigned

The Cary High Marching Band’s Long Road to the Macy’s Parade

Matt Minick, who has led the Cary High School Marching Band since 2000, discusses what it's taken to get his students to New York this week. They'll be performing Thursday in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
Up Next
Matt Minick, who has led the Cary High School Marching Band since 2000, discusses what it's taken to get his students to New York this week. They'll be performing Thursday in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

The longtime director of Cary High’s band has resigned following a suspension that’s kept him out of the school since early March, according to school officials.

In a message sent Friday to Cary High families, Principal Nolan Bryant said that Matt Minick has submitted his resignation and will not be returning. Bryant said he couldn’t provide much information about the situation because of privacy laws.

Bryant said that Eric Grush began as the interim band director on Friday. Grush will remain in place through the end of the school year while Cary High works to hire a new band director, according to Bryant.

In a previous letter to parents, Bryant said that Minick was suspended with pay on March 5 while the Wake County school system investigated a complaint. Citing privacy laws, Bryant said he couldn’t go into detail about the complaint.

But Bryant also told parents in that March 12 letter that there were “unfounded rumors about this situation” and that “this matter does not involve any allegations of physical interactions.”

Minick will remain suspended with pay through the end of the school year until his resignation goes into effect, according to Lisa Luten, a Wake school spokeswoman.

Minick had been Cary High School’s band director since 2000. His accomplishments included leading the band in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City in 2016.

Minick did not respond to The News & Observer’s request for a comment Friday.

Related stories from Durham Herald Sun

T. Keung Hui has covered K-12 education for the News & Observer since 1999, helping parents, students, school employees and the community understand the vital role education plays in North Carolina. His primary focus is Wake County, but he also covers statewide education issues.


  Comments