Durham Fire Department Engine 6 crew members used oxygen to save a dog pulled from a fire at 508 Windcrest Road late Wednesday morning.
According to Deputy Fire Chief Chris Iannuzzi, a neighbor reported the fire at 10:39 a.m. and said that dogs may have been trapped in the two-story house. The rescued dog, named Lexie, was conscious and agitated, Iannuzzi said, but was saved with oxygen therapy using a mask specially designed for animals.
The dog was transported to Veterinary Specialty Animal Hospital of the Carolinas at Hope Valley Commons.
Iannuzzi said the fire apparently was caused by a faulty dryer in a first-floor laundry room vented out a window and extended to a second floor bedroom. It was brought under control in about 20 minutes but left fire and smoke damage throughout the house.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald Sun
The American Red Cross was assisting an adult and a child.