Rocky knocks out Morgan State

Jan. 27, 2014 @ 11:05 PM

N.C. Central’s Racquel “Rocky” Davis hit a tough, go-ahead basket to make it a one-point game with 6.6 seconds to play against Morgan State on Monday.

This one was a nail-biter.

Davis was fouled on the play and made a free throw that gave NCCU a 50-48 win, ending a two-game losing skid in McDougald-McLendon Gymnasium.

“I’ll tell you what,” NCCU coach Vanessa Taylor said. “On the inside Rocky definitely did a great job at the end closing it. But Tish Dixon got some key rebounds for us in (the) game going down the stretch, just being active.”

NCCU senior Tiffany Gary was causing havoc and forcing Morgan State turnovers, Taylor said.

“All of it was not necessarily points, but they did the intangibles (Monday night) that allowed us to get into a position to win,” Taylor said.

Davis (12 points, 11 rebounds) had another double-double, her eighth of the season. Nobody crashed the boards like she did. Part of that was putting a body on a player and boxing out — the rest was just sheer desire, Davis said.

“You just go for the ball and fight for it,” Davis said.

“That’s her job. That’s what she’s very, very good at,” NCCU redshirt senior Jessica Freeman said.

Freeman led all scorers with 22 points, and she pulled down seven rebounds to go with a couple of assists and two steals.

Late in the second half, Freeman made two free throws that gave NCCU its first lead of the game, but Morgan State snatched it with a Dinah Jones layup.

Morgan State’s Tracey Carrington was a handful with 14 points in the first half. But the Lady Eagles hushed her during the final 20 minutes with multiple looks on defense. Carrington finished the game with 18 points, a few shy of the 21.7 points per game she’d been averaging.

Morgan State has lost 10 games in a row. The Bears haven’t won a thing in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference this season.

After Davis hit what turned out to be the winning layup, Taylor got so caught up in the moment that she injured herself.

“I was trying to make sure I wasn’t on the floor because of what happened earlier,” Taylor said. “When I jumped up in the heels that I had on, I actually caught a cramp in the back of my leg. I didn’t know if I had torn my ACL, my meniscus or what was going on.”

Taylor was cautious about her spacing at the end of the game because she was whistled for a technical foul earlier in the second half for meandering too far onto the court.

NCCU wrapped up a four-game homestand with that win over the Bears (2-17, 0-6 MEAC). The Eagles were 2-2 during that stretch in McDougald-McLendon.

The Eagles (8-11, 3-3 MEAC) will head north for games against Howard and Maryland Eastern Shore on Saturday and Monday, respectively.