Football roundup: Webb finale marred by Henderson brawl

Nov. 09, 2013 @ 12:14 AM

A sweeping postgame brawl that involved Northern Vance and Oxford Webb players Friday night and at least one assistant coach cast a dark shadow on the Warriors’ season-ending 21-20 win Friday at Viking Stadium.

The skirmish, which included a large number of Viking and Warrior players, erupted around midfield following the postgame handshake.

Coaches from both teams, spectators and law enforcement intervened and a Vance County sheriff’s deputy used pepper spray to disable a Northern assistant coach that was on top of a Webb player.

A sheriff’s department investigation is ongoing and no further information was available at press time.

The 3-A Big Eight Conference rivals combined for 27 penalties and 13 unsportsmanlike conduct flags in the game.

Northern head coach Eric Watkins said he was talking to a Webb coach when the chaos began.

“It’s very disappointing,” said Watkins. “Any time you have two teams out there fighting at the end of the game, last game of the season. I don’t know how it started or what. But it was bad to see that type of sportsmanship at the end of the game.”

Webb head coach Tony Midgette was not available for comment at press time.

The Warriors (3-8, 1-6) snapped a six-game losing streak to earn their first conference win while Northern finished 0-11, dropping its 21st consecutive game.

The game ended when Northern quarterback Kris Haywood’s Hail Mary pass from Webb’s 41-yard line sailed out of bounds, out of reach for Tyrrick Bullock and Michael Spinner in the end zone.

Northern forced a turnover on downs with 1:02 to play and started at its 9 with no timeouts.

Two late-hit penalties from Webb and a pass interference call kept the chains moving for the Vikings, who accounted for 17 of the game’s 27 penalties.

Northern advanced as far the Webb 31 before an unsportsmanlike call pushed the Vikings back.

Tobiah Lewis ran for 160 yards and two scores for the Warriors and Nykwanza Henderson returned a blocked kick for a score.

Northern’s Michael Spinner caught a touchdown pass from Haywood, who added a rushing score and Tyrrick Bullock rounded out the Vikings’ scoring with a touchdown run.

Reidsville 49, Carrboro 6

CARRBORO — Carrboro, last year’s state 2-A runner-up, saw an injury-riddled season end in disappointment Friday, falling at home to Mid-State 2-A Conference champion Reidsville (9-2, 5-0 Mid-State).

The Jaguars, who won their first three games this season before losing standout tailback Trai Sharp to a season-ending knee injury, ended the year with seven losses in their final eight games.

Carrboro is 4-7 overall, 2-3 in the Mid-State.

Granville Central 63, NW Halifax 22

LITTLETON — Granville Central locked down second place in the Tar-Roanoke 1-A Conference and the league’s No. 2 seed in next week’s opening playoff round with an easy win over one-win Northwest Halifax on the road.

Granville Central finishes the regular season at 7-4 overall and 4-1 in the Tar-Roanoke Conference. NW Halifax is 1-10, 1-4.

S. Granville 47, Roanoke Rapids 7

ROANOKE RAPIDS — South Granville played spoiler to senior night at Roanoke Rapids Friday, showcasing a diverse and balanced offense.  

The Vikings closed out the regular season with a dominant 47-7 win and secured the Northern Carolina 2-A Conference title in the process.

 Despite turning over the opening kickoff, the Viking defense checked the Yellow Jacket offense. They held Roanoke Rapids to 128 rushing yards on 39 carries and 41 passing yards on one completion, and had 2 interceptions, including a pick-6.

In contrast, the Viking offense was explosive, jumping out to a 34-0 lead with a balanced 250 yards rushing and 109 yards passing in the first half.  Offensive production slowed for the Vikings until the closing minutes of the game, with South Granville scoring with 6:23 and 2:07 left to play.

 The lone touchdown for the Jackets came on a 55-yard run with 30 seconds left in the game.