Duke QB Anthony Boone resumes throwing, but remains sidelined

Sep. 26, 2013 @ 10:36 PM

Injured quarterback Anthony Boone remains out indefinitely and unavailable to Duke’s football team. But a timetable for his return is drawing closer.

Duke coach David Cutcliffe said Thursday that Boone, out since breaking his collarbone during a Sept. 7 win at Memphis, has resumed throwing the football.

Since the injury occurred on his right (throwing) side, Boone had been wearing a brace that held his right arm tight against his chest to protect the healing bone.

He wasn’t wearing it Thursday as he ran off the practice field with his teammates following a walk-through.

“I think we’re closer,” Cutcliffe said. “The open date comes at a good time. We’ll see what happens.”

Duke’s first open week of the season follows Saturday’s game against Troy (3 p.m., ESPN3). After that, the Blue Devils (2-2, 0-2 in ACC) don’t play again until Oct. 12 at home with Navy.

Cutcliffe said Boone has yet to be cleared to take contact and the integrity of the bone’s healing will determine when he can return to play.

“I am not going to put him back out there until I know he is capable of taking a hit,” Cutcliffe said.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Thomas Sirk, out since rupturing his Achilles’ tendon last March, is also progressing toward a return this season. Sirk had surgery on April 10.

“Sirk continues to work a little more,” Cutcliffe said.

Also on the injury front, safety Dwayne Norman (leg) has been ruled out for the Troy game. Norman was injured in last Saturday’s 58-55 loss to Pittsburgh. Freshman Deondre Singleton will start in his place, making him the first true freshman to draw a starting assignment this season.

The injury news is better for starting linebacker Kelby Brown, who left the Pittsburgh game with a right leg injury. Brown is listed as probable to play against Troy.

Safety Corbin McCarthy is also listed as probable after he missed the Pittsburgh game with a leg injury. A redshirt freshman, McCarthy started Duke’s first three games this season.

Reserve offensive lineman Casey Blaser (broken hand) has also progressed to the point where he is listed as probable for Saturday’s game. Blaser suffered the injury in August and needed surgery. He has yet to play this season.

Other players listed as probable are defensive end Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo (leg), wide receiver Jack Wise (upper body) and linebacker Deion Williams (upper body).

In addition to Boone, Sirk and Norman the other Duke players listed as out for the Troy game are cornerback Jared Boyd (leg), defensive end Michael Mann (upper body) and defensive tackle A.J. Wolf (leg).

Offensive tackle Tanner Stone is out for the season with a broken ankle.