Duke walk-on Mellencamp in legal trouble again
Duke walk-on football player Hud Mellencamp, the son of Rock-n-Roll Hall of Famer John Mellencamp, remains part of the Blue Devils football program despite his second arrest in the last 12 months.
Mellencamp, 20, a junior defensive back for the Blue Devils who has yet to appear in a game, was arrested July 10 for illegal consumption of alcohol in his native Indiana, court records show.
Duke coach David Cutcliffe told The Herald-Sun on Monday that Mellencamp remains part of the team while the facts are being gathered.
“I haven’t had the chance to hear any details,” Cutcliffe said from the ACC Kickoff media event at the Grandover Resort. “When I get back (to Durham) we’ll look at the circumstances. I don’t know anything that surrounded it. Obviously it’s unfortunate to hear this. But we’ll deal with it after we learn a little bit more.”
The alcohol charge against Mellencamp stems from a June 29 incident and is the second legal issue in Indiana for Mellencamp.
Last summer, he and two other men, including his brother, Speck, were charged with felony battery after police say they kicked, punched and stomped another teenager following a July 29, 2013, altercation during a party at a Bloomington, Ind., home.
The charge of battery committed by means of a deadly weapon is a Class C felony. Monroe County, Indiana, court records show that Hud Mellencamp has a pretrial conference on that charge scheduled for Thursday at 1:30 p.m.
Court records also show that on July 15, five days after Mellencamp was charged with illegal consumption of alcohol, Monroe County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Darcie Fawcett filed a motion in court to revoke his $5,000 bond on the felony battery charge. Mellencamp’s attorneys objected to the bond request and the court set aside a decision until this week’s pretrial conference.
The initial hearing on the alcohol charge, which is a misdemeanor, is scheduled for Sept. 25.
As for the pending battery case, Mellencamp’s attorneys and the district attorney’s office have been going through the discovery phase for the last year.
Medical records for the victim have been subpoenaed, including radiology records from the Indiana University Health Bloomington Hospital and information from South Central Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
Indiana doctors Richard Malone, Diane Short and Heather Franklin have been asked to produce records.
Court records show that Speck Mellencamp threw the first punch in the July 29, 2013 incident and that Hud Mellencamp and Ty Smith joined in. Speck Mellencamp told police he had been struck in the face earlier in the night at the home during a party.
When asked by police why he didn’t contact authorities, the Bloomington police affidavit says that Speck Mellencamp said it never occurred to him and that he was upset.
Instead, Speck, Hud Mellencamp and Smith returned to the home later and the victim was attacked. The male victim suffered facial fractures, requiring stitches, and was referred to a plastic surgeon.