Grit Award

Aug. 08, 2014 @ 11:23 AM

It seems like such a common-sense move that you wonder why the change wasn’t made long ago. Perhaps because there was no one like Kendra Montgomery-Blinn to lead the charge.
The Durham mother of 7-year-old Marco read with horror nearly three years ago about a Virginia girl who died of an allergic reaction at school after a classmate gave her a peanut. Marco has a peanut allergy and has six EpiPens at school to help slow down the reaction if he’s accidentally exposed.
But Montgomery-Blinn worried about the children who don’t have EpiPens at school, and who may not even know they have an allergy until it’s too late.
She successfully lobbied lawmakers to allow the injectors onto school campuses and to allow select personnel who have been trained to administer it. As a result, Montgomery-Blinn will undoubtedly save lives. Marco should be really proud of his mom, the winner of this week’s Grit Award, for making schools a safer place for North Carolina kids.