Burglars take guitar, drums
DURHAM – Burglars broke into a house Sept. 4 in the 2200 block of Hillandale Road and stole a guitar, drums and a hunting stand. Other property taken included an Xbox game console, stereo equipment, jewelry, Toshiba laptop computer, two vases and a shotgun. The items were valued at $9,750.
Teen charged in fatal accident
DURHAM -- Investigators have charged Amina Baker with misdemeanor death by vehicle and failure to yield right of way in an accident that occurred Sept. 2 at the intersection of Horton Road and Stadium Drive.
A Toyota RAV4 driven by Amina Baker, 17, of Durham was going south on Stadium Drive when it collided at 11:53 p.m. with a westbound Ford minivan driven by Rubia Hernandez Portillo, 30, of Durham. The impact caused the van to spin and overturn and Portillo was thrown from the vehicle.
Portillo was pronounced dead at the scene. A male passenger in her vehicle was taken to the hospital for treatment of injuries that do not appear to be life-threatening. Baker was not injured.
In other crime:
- Copper worth $14,000 was stolen Thursday from a residence in the 1300 block of Cozart Street. A police report listed the victim at D.R. Horton home builders.
- Copper worth $1,000 was reported stolen Aug. 30 from a residence in the 1300 block of Marne Avenue. The burglars did $10,000 worth of damage to the home’s sheet rock and $1,000 in damage to the kitchen. The victim was listed on a police report as East Coast Realty Group.
- Painkillers and jewelry were reported stolen Sept. 4 from a house in the 400 block of Valley Drive. Six earrings, eight necklaces, four rings, 25 pills of oxycodone and 10 tablets of Vicodin with a total value of $2,950 were taken.
- A Sony Bravia television and Canon digital camera worth $979 were stolen Saturday from a house in the 600 block of Lavender Avenue.
- Thieves broke into a house Thursday in the 400 block of Anita Street and took an Apple laptop computer, television and Roku video steaming box worth $1,900.
Contact Keith Upchurch at email@example.com or 919-419-6612.