Chimney fire burns out residents

Feb. 05, 2014 @ 12:02 AM

Residents of a home on Lakewood Avenue were displaced Tuesday night when a chimney fire spread to an attic and caused serious damage.

City firefighters were called at 6:55 p.m. to the one-story house at 1802 W. Lakewood Ave. and saw flames from multiple parts of the attic, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi of the Durham Fire Department said.

Several people were home at the time, but all escaped uninjured.

Firefighters cut through two layers of ceiling to get to the attic, damaging two rooms. Other rooms were damaged by smoke and water.

Iannuzzi said the fire was accidental, starting in the chimney.

Residents arranged emergency housing with family members.

Thirty firefighters responded to the call, and crews were still on the scene well into the night.