Police seek help identifying Durham robbery suspects
DURHAM – Durham police investigators on Friday released a video in hopes of tracking down two men involved in an April 18 armed robbery on Liberty Street.
The men, armed with guns, entered La Magdalena Bakery at 1839 Liberty St. about 8:10 p.m. One suspect jumped over the counter and took money from the cash register.
Police described one suspect as a black man wearing a gray shirt with long sleeves, a black knit cap, blue pants and white sneakers. The other was a black man wearing a black hooded sweatshirt with a white owl and OVOXO on the front.
A video of the robbery can be viewed online at http://bit.ly/1nOiIp1.
Anyone with information is asked to call Investigator C. Heim at 919-560-4281, ext. 29121, or CrimeStoppers at 919-683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.
Troopers: Motorcyclist ran red light before fatal crash
DURHAM – A motorcyclist died Friday morning after running a red light at Davis and Park drives and striking a tractor trailer, according to the N.C. Highway Patrol.
About 9:30 a.m., the 1994 Honda motorcycle collided with a 2006 Sterling truck driven by Kevin Shearin, 28, of Nashville as the truck was turning left onto the Interstate 40 eastbound ramp.
The identity of the motorcyclist is being withheld while next of kin are notified.
In other news:
- Curtis Leon Benton, 50, of Liberty Street in Durham was arrested Thursday and charged with breaking and entering, larceny after breaking and entering and assault on a child under 12. He was released from the Durham County Jail after posting $5,000 bond.
- Berry Samuel Richardson, 52, of Geer Street in Durham was arrested Thursday and charged with trafficking in opium or heroin, maintaining a vehicle or dwelling for controlled substances and possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver a Schedule II controlled substance. He was held in the Durham County Jail under $500,000 bond.
- On April 16, a 41-year-old man told police he was robbed of $40 in the 700 block of Main Street at Fayetteville Street. He reported that a black man in a hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans struck him in the face with a handgun before fleeing with the cash.
- On April 18, someone broke into a Habitat for Humanity house in the 1900 block of Ashe Street, damaging an exterior door and stealing $2,400 worth of copper electrical wiring.
- On April 3, a 14-year-old girl was reported missing from her home on Gearwood Avenue. Bianey Garcia-Lechuga is described as a Hispanic female, 5 feet 5 inches tall and 140 pounds. She has black hair and brown eyes. Police spokeswoman Kammie Michael said investigators have followed numerous leads trying to track her down, but she remains missing.
- April Watson, a 30-year-old Durham woman, was last seen April 10 on Orient Street. She’s been missing ever since, according to police. She’s described as a black female, 5 feet 5 inches tall and 180 pounds. She has brown hair and brown eyes. She wore a black T-shirt, blue jeans and black and white sneakers.
Wes Platt can be reached at email@example.com or 919-419-6684. Follow on Twitter at @HS_WesPlatt. Connect on Facebook at facebook.com/wesplattheraldsun.