Man charged with trafficking heroin
DURHAM - Investigators with the Sheriff’s Anti-Crime and Narcotics unit arrested a Durham man on Thursday and charged him with multiple felony crimes, including heroin trafficking.
The investigation began several weeks ago when detectives got a tip that Richard Lee Cates, Jr., 23, of Mineral Springs Road in Durham, was involved in the manufacturing and distribution of narcotics, including marijuana and heroin.
Following a weeks-long investigation, investigators executed a search warrant at Cates’ home Thursday and seized the following items:
- Two .45-caliber pistols and one 9 mm caliber pistol.
- Six grams of heroin.
- 10 grams of marijuana.
- Numerous non-prescribed Xanax pills.
Narcotics investigators estimate the street value of the seized drugs at $1,000.
Cates was arrested at the end of the search of his residence and was booked into the Durham County Jail. He is currently in custody under a $150,000 bond.
Cates is charged with:
- Possession with intent to manufacture, sell, or deliver a Schedule IV substance (Xanax).
- Possession of marijuana.
- Possession of drug paraphernalia.
- Heroin trafficking.
- Possession with intent to manufacture, sell, or deliver heroin.
- Manufacturing marijuana.
Anyone with information about this investigation or other drug-related criminal activity in Durham County is asked to call the sheriff’s anonymous crime tip line at (919) 560-0940.
Man faces felony possession charges
DURHAM – Tracy Rene Newman, 28, was arrested Feb. 21 and charged with felony possession of Schedule II and VI drugs, possession of drug paraphernalia and obtaining property by false pretense. Newman was released the next day from the Durham County Jail on a $7,000 bond.
In other crime:
- Christopher Lynn Hester, 53, of Broad Street, was arrested Feb. 24 and charged with assault on a female. Hester was released the next day from the Durham County Jail on a $1,500 bond.
- Reno J. Brunson, 24, of Liberty Street, was arrested Tuesday and charged with assault on a female and communicating threats. Brunson was in the Durham County Jail Friday under a $2,000 bond.
- A cell phone worth $350 was stolen Tuesday from a house in the 1300 block of Hearthside Street.
- Thieves stole medicine from a vehicle Monday in the 2400 block of South Alston Avenue. Also taken were 20 CDs and $27.
Contact Keith Upchurch at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-419-6612.