Fire hits apartments

Aug. 09, 2014 @ 02:23 PM

Fire damaged an apartment building Friday night in northern Durham, cutting power to nine residencies. No one was hurt.

City firefighters were called at 10:38 p.m. to a two-story apartment building at 205 Eatondale Road off Broad Street and saw smoke on the left side, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi of the Durham Fire Department said.

A small fire was located inside the wall of a first-floor apartment and extinguished, he said.

Iannuzzi said the fire started in wiring for an outlet and spread within the wall. The fire was near the electric meters for all the building's apartments, causing a temporary shutdown of electricity to the entire building. Fifteen people were affected, but residents did not request Red Cross help.

Twenty-three firefighters responded to the call, and about half of them remained on the scene for almost two hours.