Grease fire damages home

Aug. 04, 2014 @ 10:39 AM

A grease fire damaged a home in the Hope Valley area Saturday, but no one was hurt.
City firefighters were called at 6:28 p.m. to a two-story residence at 3622 Colchester St. and found that the fire was already out.
A pan of grease caught fire and was carried outside by an occupant of the home, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi of the Durham Fire Department said.
Damage was limited to charring of the cabinets and wall above the stove.
Cooking fires account for nearly half the residential fires in the city of Durham, according to Iannuzzi.
Never leave food unattended on the stove, and use the appropriate heat setting for the food you are cooking, he said. If oil in a pan starts to smoke, turn down the heat.  If the oil ignites, put a lid on the pan, turn off the burner, get everyone out of the house, then call the fire department.
“It is very dangerous to carry a burning pan outside,” he said. “Do not spray or throw water onto the fire.
To watch a video about this type of cooking fire, use the link below http://www.usfa.fema.gov/fireservice/prevention_education/strategies/cooking/index5.shtm