Chapel Hill officer injured in Halloween scuffle
CHAPEL HILL – A Chapel Hill police officer suffered minor injuries Thursday night while trying to subdue a man at The Thrill bar.
Officer J. Beckett was punched in the right cheek and eye area, according to Lt. Kevin Gunter of the Chapel Hill Police Department. The injury was treated on the scene by emergency medical workers.
The suspect, 20-year-old Wake Tech student Claude Mitchel Ballbe of Morrisville, was arrested and charged with assault on a law enforcement officer with injury, possession of fraudulent identification and underage possession of spirituous liquor. He was held in the Orange County Jail under $1,500 bond.
Gunter reported that Franklin Street’s Halloween celebration drew a crowd of about 30,000 people on Thursday, but streets were cleared and open to traffic by 12:45 a.m.
In other crime:
• Marquis Long Dontez, 19, of Thelma Street in Durham was arrested Oct. 26 and charged with possession of a stolen firearm, possession of a Schedule VI controlled substance, resisting an officer, probation violation, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession with intent to sell or distribute marijuana. He was held in the Durham County Jail under $30,000 bond.
• Durham police reported that someone threw an object, possibly a rock, through the window of a Durham Area Transit Authority bus in the 1900 block of East Geer Street and Landon Farms Lane on Wednesday. Damage to the bus was estimated at $3,000.
• Everett Slade Mann II, 25, of Chapel Hill was arrested early Friday and charged with assault by strangulation and assault on a female. He was held without bond in the Orange County Jail.
• Early Thursday morning, someone broke into the offices of Carolina Partners in Mental Health at 401 Providence Road in Chapel Hill. The incident happened around 4:48 a.m. Police reported about $500 in damage to doors at the business, but nothing else was listed as missing.
• Arthur Crawley, 26, of Moreland Avenue in Durham was arrested Friday and charged with possession of a firearm by a felon, possession of drug paraphernalia, maintaining a dwelling or vehicle for controlled substances, resisting an officer and extradition. He was held without bond in the Durham County Jail.
• Devonte Jones, 21, of Sargent Place in Durham was arrested Thursday and charged with misdemeanor larceny, breaking and entering, larceny after breaking and entering, assault on a female and false imprisonment. He was held in the Durham County Jail under $16,000 bond.
• Bryan V. Waters, 36, of Bailey was arrested Thursday and charged with assault on a female, indecent liberties with a child and first-degree sexual offense with a child. He was held in the Durham County Jail under $125,400 bond.
Wes Platt can be reached at email@example.com or 919-419-6684. Follow on Twitter at @HS_WesPlatt. Connect on Facebook at facebook.com/wesplattheraldsun.