Old class ring among items snatched in burglary
DURHAM – A thief broke into a house in the 2600 block of Winton Road in September and stole several items from an elderly couple.
Stolen items included a $2,000 diamond bracelet, a $10 roll of Kennedy half dollars, a diamond necklace worth $10,000, a $1,000 Sony Bravia flatscreen television, a $5,000 white gold ring and a 1944 class ring from the Women’s College of UNC (now UNC Greensboro).
Investigators recovered a safe and assorted papers that had been stolen, but nothing else had been found as of Monday, said police spokeswoman Kammie Michael.
In other crime:
• Tyrone Winford Burnette, 36, of North Hyde Park Avenue in Durham was arrested Oct. 23 and charged with larceny of a motor vehicle, obtaining property by false pretense and possession of a stolen motor vehicle. He was held in the Durham County Jail under $3,000 bond.
• On Oct. 21, someone broke into a house on Statler Drive and took $32 in pennies.
• Residents of a home in the 500 block of Holloway Street reported on Oct. 24 that someone stole two rocking chairs worth $300.
• On Sept. 27, a 25-year-old woman was robbed by three suspects behind a building in the 2800 block of Erwin Road in Durham. The thieves stole her Coach purse, worth $500, along with contents that included medication, two credit/debit cards, keys and $20 cash. No arrests had been made as of Monday, Michael said.
• On Sept. 22, residents of a house in the 1000 block of Kingsmount Court reported that someone had broken into the house. Stolen items included diamond earrings worth $300, gold bracelets and necklaces worth $1,700 and 30 granola bars.
• Jody Ray Allen, 41, of Shaw Road in Durham was arrested Monday and charged with hit-and-run failure to stop with property damage, reckless driving to the endangerment of others, driving while license revoked and operating a vehicle without insurance. He was held in the Durham County Jail under $4,000 bond.
• Charles Gilbert Arozamena, 58, of Broad Street in Durham was arrested Sunday and charged with assault on a female, misdemeanor larceny, communicating threats, habitual misdemeanor assault and not obtaining a permit privilege license. He was held without bond in the Durham County Jail.
• Derrick Jerome Butler, 40, of High Point was arrested Sunday and charged with assault by strangulation, assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury and communicating threats. He was held without bond in the Durham County Jail.
• Jose Fernando Gutierrez, 36, of Willow Creek Circle in Durham was arrested Sunday and charged with communicating threats and cyberstalking. He was held without bond in the Durham County Jail.
• Jonathan De Jesus Melgar, 28, of Century Oak Drive in Durham was arrested Sunday and charged with felony hit and run with injury and driving while impaired. He was held in the Durham County Jail under $10,000 bond.
• Timothy R. Poole, 52, of Red Sunset Lane in Durham was arrested Sunday and charged with possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver a Schedule II controlled substance, delivering cocaine, selling cocaine, possession with intent to sell or deliver cocaine, trafficking in opium or heroin, habitual felon and resisting an officer. He was held under $500,500 bond in the Durham County Jail.
• Kenyawna Nakita Taborn, 26, of Hudson Avenue in Durham was arrested Sunday and charged with identity theft, financial card theft, financial card fraud, injury to real property, injury to personal property and possession of drug paraphernalia. She was held in the Durham County Jail under $10,500 bond.
• David Lewis Taborn, 23, of Hudson Avenue in Durham was arrested Oct. 23 and charged with assault on a female, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, injury to personal property, felonious restraint and communicating threats. He was held without bond in the Durham County Jail.
Wes Platt can be reached at email@example.com or 919-419-6684. Follow on Twitter at @HS_WesPlatt. Connect on Facebook at facebook.com/wesplattheraldsun.