Man charged in stabbing, assault
DURHAM – Early Sunday morning, police found a 57-year-old man stabbed in the chest in the 500 block of East Main Street.
Later that day, Jasper Cole Jr. of Gunter Street in Durham turned himself in to police. He was charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, with bond set at $500,000.
Cole also was charged with assault on a female in connection with an incident a few hours earlier at the same location of the stabbing. Investigators indicated that he knew the victim.
The stabbing injuries did not appear to be life-threatening, said police spokeswoman Kammie Michael.
Woman hurt in ATM attack
DURHAM – An armed robber in a ski mask shot a woman in the leg at the drive-through ATM on Sunday afternoon at Coastal Federal Credit Union at the corner of University Drive and Shannon Road.
The victim, 38, described the attacker as a white male in a ski mask. He approached her vehicle, pointed a gun and demanded money, she told police. He then shot her in the leg and fled without taking anything.
She was taken to Duke Hospital for treatment of injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening.
In other crime:
- Thieves struck at least twice on Spring Meadow Drive in Chapel Hill last week. According to police reports on Oct. 16, someone broke into a 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe in the 9200 block of Spring Meadow, causing $400 damage before stealing a $100 iPod. In the 100 block, someone broke into a 2001 Toyota Corolla and took $180 in cash, three Bank of America cards, a driver’s license and two shirts worth $30 each. Damage to the Corolla was estimated at $200.
- Ebony Ciera Dumas, 26, listed as homeless in Durham, was arrested Monday and charged with felony stalking, communicating threats and simple assault. She was held in the Durham County Jail under an $8,500 bond.
- Charles Kibera, 32, of Naples Place in Durham, was arrested Sunday and charged with assault on a female. He was held without bond in the Durham County Jail.
- Maurice Moore Sr., 44, of Angier Avenue in Durham, was arrested Sunday and charged with assault on a female. He was held without bond in the Durham County Jail.
- Antoin Lamar Thomas, 24, of Ottowa Avenue in Durham, was arrested Sunday and charged with assault on a female, communicating threats and interfering with emergency communication. He was held without bond in the Durham County Jail.
- Anther Jim Dal Torain, 41, of Broad Street in Roxboro, was arrested Sunday and charged with forcible breaking and entering, felony larceny and felony conspiracy. He was held under $10,000 bond in the Durham County Jail.
- Brian Thomas Yates, 38, of Clarendon Street in Durham, was arrested Sunday and charged with assault with a deadly weapon with serious injury, misdemeanor larceny, communicating threats, assault on a female and driving while license revoked. He was held under $34,000 bond in the Durham County Jail.
Wes Platt can be reached at email@example.com or 919-419-6684. Follow on Twitter at @HS_WesPlatt. Connect on Facebook at facebook.com/wesplattheraldsun.