Duo charged with exploiting elderly
DURHAM – A Durham man and Hillsborough woman have been arrested after being accused of exploiting the elderly and forgery.
Jason Wayne Carden, 33, of Ninth Street and Angela Duke Rouse, 41, both were arrested and charged with exploiting disabled/elder trust after allegedly stealing checks and money from an elderly victim while not providing basic care and services. The pair is accused of damaging sewer and water pipes, an air conditioning unit, cutting electrical wires and leaving the victim at home with no keys.
Carden also is charged with aiding and abetting forgery in his alleged role in helping Rouse steal and forge a check for $1,000. Carden faces additional charges for allegedly breaking or entering and felony larceny for an incident on Cassam Road in Bahama, where a shotgun, antique World War II rifle, flat-screen television, laptop computer and document safe were stolen.
He was held under a $4,000 secured bond.
Rouse faces several additional charges, including uttering forged endorsement, obtaining property under false pretense after allegedly stealing $1,000 from Wells Fargo using a forged check, and 10 counts of forgery of endorsement and obtaining property under false pretense for allegedly taking more than $2,500 from an elderly victim via forged checks and stolen money.
Rouse was held under a $40,000 secured bond.
In other crime:
- Marnold Carrera, 24, of Garrett Road was arrested and charged with possession with intent to manufacture, sell and distribute a schedule II controlled substance, namely three individually wrapped rocks of crack cocaine. He was held under a $2,500 secured bond.
- Leslie Alan Skinner, 47, of Mimosa Street was arrested and charged with trafficking cocaine, possession with intent to sell or distribute cocaine and maintaining a vehicle/dwelling/place for a controlled substance. Skinner allegedly had 28 to 200 grams of cocaine in his possession, 47 grams of cocaine to sell or distribute and maintained his dwelling on Mimosa Street for keeping and selling cocaine. He was held under a $260,000 secured bond.
- Kenya Robinson, 23, of LaSalle Street was arrested and charged with assault on a female, communicating threats and injury to real property after allegedly pushing the victim, threatening to choke her to death and damaging a closet. He was held under a $2,000 secured bond.
- Satara Lanaye Brown, 50, of Enterprise Street was arrested and charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon after allegedly robbing someone at the Nordstrom department store at the Streets of Southpoint mall with a box cutter. Brown allegedly stole $54. Brown was held under a $100,000 secured bond.
- Travis Shearer, 23, of Knightwood Drive was arrested and charged with trafficking stolen identities and two counts of identity theft. For those charges, Shearer was held under a $20,000 secured bond. He also was charged with two counts of financial card fraud, with a $30,000 secured bond.
- Gary Lorrell Inges, 28, of North Duke Street was arrested and charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon. He was held under a $50,000 secured bond.
- Sedrick Anthony Butler, 23, of Drew Street was arrested and charged with possession with intent to sell and distribute cocaine, selling a schedule II controlled substance and delivering a schedule II controlled substance. Butler was held under a $10,000 secured bond.
- Charles Alberto, 35, of Hemlock Hill Drive, was arrested and charged with assault by strangulation, assault on a female breaking or entering and false imprisonment. He was held without bond.
- Tony Antwan Clegg, 27, of Venus Drive was arrested and released after being charged with possession with intent to sell or distribute marijuana, felony possession of cocaine and possession of drug paraphernalia. He posted a $3,500 secured bond.