Apartment fire displaces 4 residents

Jun. 14, 2014 @ 06:45 PM

An early-morning apartment fire displaced four occupants Saturday, but no one was hurt, fire officials said.

Firefighters were called at 6:21 a.m. to 2917 Salvone Court and saw smoke from the roof, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi of the Durham Fire Department said.

An investigation showed that a fire was burning between the walls of two third-floor apartments, one of which was vacant.

Occupants of the other apartment called 911 when they saw smoke.

Flames damaged two apartments, and there was damage to the roof from ventilation efforts, Iannuzzi said.

Two second-floor apartments had minor water damage.

Red Cross was called to help four adult occupants.

Twenty-three firefighters responded to the call, including three from the Durham County Fire Department. They were on the scene about 90 minutes.

The fire's cause was related to electrical wiring between the walls of the two apartments, according to Iannuzzi.