Jury could get Mangum case Thursday

Nov. 20, 2013 @ 07:54 PM

Jury deliberations are expected to begin Thursday in the murder trial of Crystal Mangum, charged with fatally stabbing her boyfriend in 2011.

The defense and prosecution have presented their evidence in the case, and are set to make final remarks to the jury Thursday morning.

Mangum took the stand Wednesday, telling the jury she stabbed her boyfriend while he choked her so hard that she couldn’t breathe following an alcohol-fueled party.

She traced her version of events - sometimes tearfully -  that led to the stabbing death of Reginald Daye on April 3, 2011.

Mangum said that on April 2, she and Daye arrived late at night at a birthday party for Daye’s aunt and nephew. She said Daye had been drinking since he woke up that morning.

They left their apartment for the party about 10:30 p.m., Mangum said, and drank alcohol there.

When they returned home, Mangum saw a Durham police officer she was friendly with and started talking to him outside their apartment, she said.

Daye became irritated, threw his hands in the air and told Mangum to get inside.

“Get over here!” she quoted Daye as telling her. “That scared me,” she said. “I'd never seen him get that angry before.”

Once inside their apartment, she said, Daye accused her of “disrespecting” him by talking to other men.

“How dare you disrespect me!” she said Daye shouted at her. “What the [expletive] is wrong with you?”

Mangum said Daye hit her and she fell on the living room floor, then got up and was knocked down again.

 “You ungrateful [expletive]!” Mangum said he told her. “I don't understand why you're doing this to me! You deserve to die! You don't deserve to be loved!”

Mangum said she ran to the bedroom, and Daye held her down on the mattress, scratching her face so that “no one would ever want me.”

She said she got up and he grabbed her ankles, causing the mattress to come off the bed.

Daye pulled her down on the floor and hit her, she said, threatening to pour hot water on her face.

She said he got kitchen knives and threw them at her while she used the mattress as a shield.

“No, Reggie, stop!” she said.

Mangum said Daye left the bedroom, and she ran into the bathroom and locked it.

Daye kicked in the bathroom door and pulled her out by the hair into the bedroom, she said.

Mangum said Daye began to hit and choke her, cutting off her air supply.

She said she tried to push him off, but he was too strong.

“I grabbed a knife and poked [stabbed] him in the side,” Mangum said. She said she grabbed her purse and ran to a neighbor’s apartment where her three children were.

“I felt like Reggie was trying to kill me,” Mangum said. “I didn't intend to kill him. I miss him. He was a very good person. I just don't know what I could have done differently.”

Under cross-examination, Assistant District Attorney Charlene Coggins-Franks tried to chip away at Mangum’s credibility by pointing out inconsistencies in her testimony.

At one point, Mangum admitted she lied to police in 2010 when she denied slashing her boyfriend’s car tires.

Also testifying Wednesday afternoon was Liddie Howard, who lived next door to Daye and Mangum and often cared for Mangum’s three young children.

Howard said she heard someone banging on her door in the early-morning hours of April 3, and she opened the door to see Mangum “screaming and terrified” with a torn blouse and red eye. She said Mangum told her she had been in a fight.

She said Mangum’s son called 911 and police arrived, handcuffed Mangum, who was lying on Howard’s floor, and took her to a patrol car.

Another witness, Mary Outterbridge, said she and Daye had been in a relationship for 11 years and had lived together until 2010.

Outterbridge said Daye was never violent, although they sometimes got into arguments. She said Daye had visited her a few days before he was killed.

“He was dressed nice,” she said. “We talked and laughed” and planned to play cards at a later date, she said.

Mangum, 35, could be sentenced to life in prison without parole if convicted of first-degree murder.

In 2006, she made national headlines after falsely accusing three members of the Duke University lacrosse team of raping her at a party.