Fire injures owner of townhome

Nov. 17, 2013 @ 03:05 PM

The cause of a kitchen fire that happened shortly after midnight Sunday morning that injured the owner of the home and damaged an adjoining home is still under investigation.

Durham Deputy Fire Chief Christopher Iannuzzi said that the fire happened around 12:02 a.m. at 1463 New Castle Road when a two-story townhouse in a row of four caught fire.

“The owner, who was taken to Duke for treatment of burns, was home at the time and said the fire started in the kitchen,” Iannuzzi said. “Three occupants of the other homes were temporarily displaced due to the shut down of power.”

The other occupants were not injured and the Red Cross was not called because the displaced residents had someplace to stay, he explained.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, fire was venting from three sides of the building. The fire was brought under control and contained to one home. The home where the fire began was heavily damaged.

“The townhouse in which the fire started sustained heavy damage,” explained Iannuzzi. “One adjoining townhouse had minor damage and the remaining two were undamaged.”

Firefighters were on the scene for close to three hours.