Victim’s nephew testifies about stabbing in Mangum trial

Nov. 14, 2013 @ 06:20 PM

Carlos Wilson fought back tears Thursday as he testified about the day he saw his uncle, Reginald Daye, dripping blood and saying that Crystal Mangum had stabbed him.
Wilson was testifying in the first-degree murder trial of Mangum, accused of fatally stabbing Daye, her 46-year-old boyfriend, on April 3, 2011.
He said Daye came to his apartment with blood coming from his side, and said Mangum had stabbed him. He said his uncle was gasping for air.
Wilson said he tried to attend to his uncle's wounds as they waited for paramedics to arrive. After Daye was placed on a stretcher and taken to the hospital, “I let loose and cried,” Wilson said.
When he looked inside his uncle’s apartment on Century Oaks Drive, he saw a sofa with stab marks but no one inside.
“I couldn't get the picture of that apartment out of my head,” Wilson said.
Daye died 10 days later.
Mangum broke into tears Thursday afternoon when a 911 telephone recording of one of her children was played, saying “Hurry up!” to a dispatcher after the stabbing. The recording was one of three calls made to the center about the same time.
Steven Wax, a former 911 center employee, said the first call came from Wilson between 3 and 3:30 a.m. on April 3, 2011, saying his uncle had just been stabbed by Mangum and was bleeding but breathing. The other call was from a woman who hung up.
Several Durham police officers testified they saw blood, broken glass and a couch with knife holes in Daye's apartment.
Officer Bradley Frey said he entered the apartment about 3:20 a.m. and saw a trail of blood from the living room to the bedroom, where he saw Daye in the doorway with his shirt off and bleeding from his left side.
Daye “seemed upset” and said he and Mangum had argued over money, Frey testified. Frey said Daye told him that the argument escalated, Mangum grabbed a knife, stabbed him, took some money and left for her aunt's apartment.
Paramedics arrived and took Daye to the hospital.
Officer Charles Franklin testified that he drove to the aunt's apartment and found a red-eyed Mangum lying on her stomach on the floor. She was handcuffed and taken to Police Headquarters.
Another witness, former Durham County detention officer James Williams, said he struck up a friendship with Mangum about two months before the stabbing. He said they talked on the phone about a dozen times.
On the night of the stabbing, he said, Mangum called him about 2:30 a.m. and said her boyfriend had jumped on her and that she stabbed him three times to get him off.
Testimony began Thursday in Durham County Superior Court after two alternate jurors were selected.
Mangum, 34, is claiming self-defense, saying she was a victim of domestic violence. If convicted of first-degree murder, she could be sentenced to life in prison without parole.
In 2006, Mangum drew national publicity after falsely accusing three members of the Duke University lacrosse team of raping her at a party.
Attorney General Roy Cooper dropped all charges in 2007 and declared the players innocent.
Testimony resumes today.