Durham man dies in Chatham accident
CHAPEL HILL – A Durham motorcyclist died Wednesday when he veered off Old Farrington Point Road in Chatham County and struck a tree and embankment, according to the N.C. Highway Patrol.
Peter Scott Cartwright, 65, of Tisdale Street wrecked shortly after noon. The accident report indicates clear and dry conditions, and shows that he probably was driving about 25 miles below the posted speed limit before the accident.
Cartwright was pronounced dead at the scene.
No other vehicles appear to have been involved, the report stated. The investigating trooper noted a 47-foot-long skid mark.
Convenience store robbed
DURHAM – A man walked into the Kangaroo convenience store on Leonardo Drive on Oct. 30, pulled a gun and demanded money from the clerk, according to Durham police.
The suspect wore a hoodie and a covering over his face. He left with $204 cash.
No arrests had been made as of Thursday, police spokeswoman Kammie Michael said.
In other crime:
- On. Oct. 29, a 24-year-old man told police that he was moving items out of his apartment in the 2900 block of Chapel Hill Road when two men assaulted him and took his wallet and LG cell phone.
- On Oct. 30, a resident in the 900 block of Lynn Road reported that someone broke into the home and took a .22 caliber Ruger handgun worth about $275.
- On Oct. 31, someone broke a window at the Advanced Auto store on Holloway Street, causing $500 damage.
- George Lawrence Coleman, 66, of Weather Hill Circle in Durham was arrested Wednesday and charged with misuse of the 911 system. He was held in the Durham County Jail under $500 bond.
- Lashawan Gonsalves, 19, of Hearthside Street in Durham was arrested Wednesday and charged with assault with a deadly weapon, injury to personal property and resisting an officer. She was held in the Durham County Jail under $1,500 bond.
- Sean Jamel Leary, 35, of Guess Road in Durham was arrested Wednesday and charged with felony larceny, being found in a building with intent to commit larceny, possession of a Schedule VI controlled substance and felony possession of a Schedule II controlled substance. He was held in the Durham County Jail under $10,000 bond.
- Louis P. Salley, 42, of Miami, Fla., was arrested Wednesday and charged with felony possession of a Schedule II controlled substance, possession of marijuana, maintaining a vehicle or dwelling for controlled substances and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was held in the Durham County Jail under $8,000 bond.
- Raheem D’Angelo Smith, 25, of Rochelle Street in Durham was arrested Wednesday and charged with possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver a Schedule II controlled substance, possession of a Schedule IV controlled substance and maintaining a vehicle for controlled substances. He was held in the Durham County Jail under $4,000 bond.
- Ebony Nicole Thompson, 27, of Shannas Way in Durham, was arrested Wednesday and charged with breaking and entering, larceny after breaking and entering, obtaining property under false pretenses, uttering a forged instrument and felony conspiracy. She was held in the Durham County Jail under $22,000 bond.
Wes Platt can be reached at email@example.com or 919-419-6684. Follow on Twitter at @HS_WesPlatt. Connect on Facebook at facebook.com/wesplattheraldsun.