Two bodies found in Durham house fire

Dec. 23, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

The bodies of two people were found in a home on Davidson Avenue in Durham where officials say there was an electrical fire on Saturday night.
The fire was determined to have been started accidentally, said Dan Curia, interim chief of the Durham Fire Department.
He said the fire started in a left rear bedroom of the house at 120 Davidson Ave. A space heater may have contributed, he said.
“We did not find a functioning smoke detector in the house,” Curia said.
The bodies of two people, a male and a female, were found in the home, according to a news release from the Durham Police Department.
The names of the two people had not yet been released Sunday afternoon.
Durham Fire Department Battalion Chief Andy Sannipoli said Sunday morning that the first unit that arrived at the scene reported that there was smoke visible from the outside of the house.
Crews were assigned to search the building, and found the two people inside, he said.
Curia said one room was significantly damaged, and there was smoke damage throughout the house.
Durham resident Clarence Trice, who said he lives near Davidson Avenue, said he believes that a mother and her son were staying in the home.
Pauline Bullock, a Durham resident who said her backyard adjoins the yard of the home on Davidson Avenue, said she was shocked.
“It’s sad because they were good people,” Bullock said.
Anyone with information is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 919-683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.