Durham man pepper-sprayed after backpack theft
DURHAM – A 20-year-old man was subdued and dosed with pepper spray Monday evening after police say he stole a backpack from a Duke student in Perkins Library on West Campus.
Jeffrey Alan Velez Jr. of Roxboro Street in Durham, who wasn’t a student at the university, was seen climbing aboard a Duke bus shortly after the theft.
At first, university police said, he refused to leave the bus. When he finally disembarked, officers reported, he resisted attempts to cuff him. Ultimately, an officer on the scene approved use of pepper spray.
Velez was charged with felony larceny, resist, obstruct and delay officers and second-degree trespass. He was held in the Durham County Jail under $5,000 bond.
In other news:
- On April 14, someone broke into Flowing Streams Child Care in the 1000 block of East Club Boulevard and stole two Apple laptops, a Kodak Sureshot camera, earrings, 35 gospel CDs and $5 cash.
- On April 16, someone broke into a home in the 4500 block of Denfield Street and stole a revolver and jewelry.
- On April 14, someone broke into Eye Care Associates in the 3500 block of North Duke Street and stole 27 eyeglass frames and caused $1,000 damage to glass doors and windows.
- On April 13, someone broke into a home in the 800 block of Ellerbee Street and stole $5,400 worth of electronics, including Samsung tablets, Xbox, Nook electronic readers, Acer laptops and two televisions.
- On April 14, someone broke into a home in the 5000 block of Pinetrail Drive and stole $15,603.50 worth of property, including a 60-inch television, jewelry, credit cards, $400 cash and a pillow sham.
Wes Platt can be reached at email@example.com or 919-419-6684. Follow on Twitter at @HS_WesPlatt. Connect on Facebook at facebook.com/wesplattheraldsun.