911 caller reports at least five shots in Saturday attack

Jan. 06, 2014 @ 08:52 PM

A mother and child shot while sitting in a sports utility vehicle in Durham remained in the hospital in serious condition on Monday, police said.

No arrest had been made.

Meanwhile, 911 recordings released by Durham’s emergency communications department on Monday indicate that the suspect was on foot when he opened fire on the silver sports utility vehicle driven by the 31-year-old woman and carrying her 9-year-old son.

When asked by a 911 operator what kind of car the suspect drove, one caller said, “He wasn’t in a vehicle.”

The shooting happened on Lucas Drive, the caller said, but the victims drove to Halyard Court to get away from their attacker.

Another caller reported that they heard at least five or six shots, “maybe more.”

“I was outdoors washing the car and the gun went off,” that caller said. “Scared the hell out of me.”

The caller said that they “heard a lady say ‘Call 911,’” but didn’t hear anyone else yelling before or after the shots were fired.

Follow on Twitter at @HS_WesPlatt. Connect on Facebook at facebook.com/wesplattheraldsun.