Apartment fire displaces six

Dec. 23, 2013 @ 08:48 PM

A Monday afternoon apartment fire in southern Durham burned four children and two adults out of their home, fire officials said.

No one was hurt.

City firefighters were called at 5:07 p.m. to a fire at 5208 B Penrith Drive at Penrith Apartments, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi of the Durham Fire Department said.

Firefighters saw smoke from the two-story apartment building and found flames in the kitchen.

The fire was extinguished quickly and confined to the area above a stove, Iannuzzi said.

Cabinets above the stove were damaged and there was smoke damage throughout the apartment.

The Red Cross was called to provide housing for the residents. All six occupants were home when the fire broke out.

Iannuzzi said the fire was accidental and caused by unattended cooking.

Twenty-one firefighters were at the scene about an hour.