Shooting victim dies of injuries
DURHAM – Darren Taylor, a 27-year-old Jordan High School graduate who was hurt Saturday morning while he slept when someone opened fire on his apartment building, has died of his wounds.
His death now is being investigated as a homicide, said Kammie Michael, Durham Police Department spokeswoman.
Anyone with information is asked to call Investigator A. Cristaldi at (919) 560-4440, ext. 29322 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.
Fidelity Drive suspect turns himself in
DURHAM – James Edward Walker Jr., 22, of Dearborn Drive in Durham turned himself in to police on Wednesday morning. He was charged with murder in connection with the fatal shooting of Patrick Danial Holmes, 24, on Fidelity Drive last week.
Walker’s previous brushes with the law include felony breaking and entering, willful and wanton injury to real property and possession of stolen goods.
In other news:
• Someone on Dec. 5 reported the theft of $3,670 worth of power and hand tools from a construction site in the 7000 block of N.C. Hwy. 751.
• Someone on Dec. 2 reported the theft of $10,000 worth of wires and a 50-gallon water heater from a home in the 100 block of Pocono Drive.
• Someone on Dec. 5 reported the theft of two televisions, worth a total of $950, from a residence in the 4800 block of University Drive.
• Harold Thomas Garner Jr., 42, of Lacy Road in Durham was arrested Tuesday and charged with trafficking heroin by possession, sale and delivery and felony possession of cocaine. He was held in the Durham County Jail under $752,500 bond.
• Phillip Farrington, 18, of Dearborn Drive in Durham was arrested Tuesday and charged with breaking and entering, larceny after breaking and entering and assault on a handicapped person. He was held in the Durham County Jail under $6,000 bond.
• Isaiah Tyquan Allen, 18, of Horton Road in Durham was arrested Tuesday and charged with common-law robbery, felony conspiracy, simple possession of a Schedule VI controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was held in the Durham County Jail under $10,000 bond.
• Tammy Johnson, 50, of Holloway Street in Durham was arrested Wednesday and charged with malicious conduct by prisoner, intoxicated and disruptive and second-degree trespass. She was held in the Durham County Jail under $20,000 bond.
Wes Platt can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-419-6684. Follow on Twitter at @HS_WesPlatt. Connect on Facebook at facebook.com/wesplattheraldsun.