Cats, lizard perish in Durham fire

Feb. 05, 2014 @ 06:53 PM

A terrarium figured in a fire Wednesday in southern Durham that killed two cats and a lizard, fire officials said. No humans were hurt.

City and Parkwood volunteer firefighters were called at 12:36 p.m. to the fire at a two-story house at 5808 Walnut Cove Drive, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi of the Durham Fire Department said.

Flames were visible in the house, off Woodcroft Parkway, when firefighters arrived.

A bedroom and kitchen were destroyed, and the entire house sustained heat and smoke damage, Iannuzzi said.

The fire started in a bedroom when a heat lamp was knocked off a reptile terrarium and ignited combustible material.

Iannuzzi said the residents weren't home at the time.

The Red Cross is providing emergency housing to two adults and two children who lived there.

Crews remained for more than two hours.

Twenty-five firefighters, including three from the Parkwood Volunteer Fire Department, fought the blaze.