Police log, Feb. 5
Man arrested with drugs, gun at Hillside High
DURHAM – Durham County sheriff’s deputies last week arrested a 34-year-old man after they found him with drugs and a loaded gun while parked in a lot at Hillside High School.
On Jan. 27, someone called a school resource officer assigned to Hillside about a suspicious vehicle in the back lot at 8:20 a.m. The vehicle was driven by Eddie Lewis of Glover Road in Durham, according to investigators.
“His investigation into the vehicle and its driver (Lewis) led to the discovery of 28 grams of marijuana, a loaded .38 caliber pistol and more than $1,000 cash,” said Deputy Paul Sherwin, spokesman for the Durham County Sheriff’s Office. “Lewis never provided a credible reason for being parked on school property.”
He was arrested and charged with possession of a weapon on school property, possession of drug paraphernalia, carrying a concealed weapon and possession with intent to sell narcotics within 1,000 feet of a school. He was released from the Durham County Jail after posting $50,000 bond.
Suspect charged in Durham robbery
DURHAM – Durham police on Monday arrested a 20-year-old man in connection with a robbery and assault on Jan. 17 near Alston Avenue and Liberty Street.
Tyrico Bowens of Grant Street in Durham is accused of being one of two men who dragged a man out of his car and into the street after he slowed for a disturbance. Investigators report that Bowens and the other suspect struck the man in the back of the head with a gun, struck him in the face and kicked him in the ribs. They took his phone, cash, watch and cigarettes.
The second suspect remains at large, said Kammie Michael, police spokeswoman.
Man sought in two dollar-store robberies
DURHAM – Durham police on Tuesday sought a 32-year-old man suspected in the robberies of two discount stores in the past two weeks.
Anthony Tyrone Brown, 32, is wanted on charges of robbery with a dangerous weapon. He’s accused of robbing the Family Dollar at 5120 N. Roxboro Street on Jan. 18 and the Dollar Tree at 3823 Guess Road on Jan. 28.
In the first incident, the suspect entered the store just before 6 p.m., took a can of motor oil to the cashier and demanded money. He said he had a gun, according to investigators.
In the second, the suspect took a pack of gum to the cashier, demanded money and threatened to shoot her if she refused.
Anyone with information about Brown’s whereabouts is asked to call Investigator J.W. Walsh at 919-560-4582, ext. 29248 or CrimeStoppers at 919-683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.
In other news:
- Someone broke into a home in the 200 block of Spring Creek Drive in Durham on Jan. 27 and stole a 65-inch Samsung flatscreen television worth about $2,000.
- Someone broke into a home in the 400 block of Hardee Street in Durham on Jan. 30 and stole nearly $3,000 worth of property, including a 60-inch Sharp flatscreen television, Kay Open Heart necklace and earrings and a digital camera.
- On Jan. 31, someone stole copper wiring and appliances from sites in the 100 block of Pocono Drive. The Durham Police Department reported $1,000 worth of wiring and $1,000 in copper line sets taken from a construction site, while two Whirlpool refrigerators, two Whirlpool oven/ranges and a microwave – all valued at a total of $6,150 - were taken from another.
- On Jan. 27, about 6 p.m., a 35-year-old man said he was robbed in the parking lot of an apartment complex in the 2100 block of Broad Street. Two men in dark jackets and jeans approached from behind and asked for a cigarette. The suspects then pulled a gun and demanded money. They took a bag containing $60 and fled.
- On Jan. 31, about 7:45 p.m., a woman and two men walked down Liberty Street near Hyde Park Avenue when a man approached and demanded money from both men. Neither had any money. The suspect was described as a black male in his late teens or early 20s with short, braided hair. He wore blue jeans with white designs on them and a black hooded sweatshirt.
- On Jan. 31, a 22-year-old man was walking in the 600 block of Dowd Street when two men approached and demanded money. When they learned he had no money, they punched him in the face and then fled, police said.
- Clark Ashley Evans II, 29, of Brownsburg Place in Raleigh was arrested Monday and charged with identity theft and obtaining property by false pretense. He was held without bond in the Durham County Jail.
- Gekeem Gibbs V, 38, of Elizabeth Street in Durham was arrested Monday and charged with assault on a female, false imprisonment and assault by strangulation. He was held without bond in the Durham County Jail.
Wes Platt can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-419-6684. Follow on Twitter at @HS_WesPlatt. Connect on Facebook at facebook.com/wesplattheraldsun.