Apartment fire sends one to hospital

Feb. 04, 2014 @ 04:41 PM

An apartment fire damaged a heating unit Tuesday and sent an occupant to the hospital, Durham fire officials said.
Firefighters were called at 9:46 a.m. to 1303 S. Alston Ave., Apt. C and saw smoke, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi of the Durham Fire Department said.
Iannuzzi said the small electrical fire burned wiring on a heat pump in the crawlspace, but didn’t damage the building.
He said an occupant went to the hospital to be evaluated for possible smoke inhalation.
Emergency help from the Red Cross was not requested, he said.
Twenty-two firefighters responded to the blaze.