Hillsborough police seek help with robberies
HILLSBOROUGH – Investigators with the Hillsborough Police Department on Thursday sought assistance with two robberies committed during the past week.
The first incident, which happened Saturday about 8:30 p.m., was at the Dollar General store on Rebecca Drive.
A man described as black with a medium build and wearing tan pants, a gray hooded sweatshirt and a black jacket entered the store. He talked to the clerk for a few minutes, then showed a handgun and demanded money. After taking cash, he told store employees to go into a back room and then fled.
The second incident, Tuesday about 9:30 a.m. happened in a house in the 200 block of West Union Street.
The resident, who was home at the time, heard a noise in the back of the house and confronted a suspect in the yard, who walked away. The resident went inside and heard another noise and called out.
A man in a mask stepped out of a back room and showed a gun, then took a laptop computer and fled.
Tracking by a K-9 police dog led to a nearby vacant lot, where the suspects are thought to have entered a vehicle and driven away.
Anyone with information about these crimes should contact Investigator Scott Bilsky at 919-732-9381, ext. 37 or Sgt. Scott Nicolaysen at 919-732-9381, ext. 30.
Durham man sought in aggravated assault
DURHAM – Durham police want to find an 18-year-old Firth Road man in connection with a Jan. 6 incident in the 400 block of Green Street.
A man told police that he was on his porch about 6 p.m. that day when Samuel Rivera and several other males parked a vehicle in front of the house and fired shots.
“No one was hurt, but five shots struck a house,” said police spokeswoman Kammie Michael.
Rivera is wanted on one count of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill.
Two other men – Christian Colato, 19, of Liberty Street and Jose Luis Perez-Alejandre, 18, of East Markham Avenue – already have been arrested on charges of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill in connect with this case.
Those two also were suspects in a carjacking in the city limits last Wednesday that occurred before they were accused of robbing a Latino grocery on Wake Forest Highway and leading police on a brief chase.
This week, Durham County sheriff’s deputies acknowledged they’re still looking for a third suspect in the robbery. No word yet on whether Rivera might have been involved.
Anyone with information on Rivera’s whereabouts is asked to call Cpl. C. Richards at (919) 560-4582, ext. 29241 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.
In other news:
• On Jan. 17, someone reported the burglary of a home in the 500 block of Hardee Street. The $2,172 worth of property stolen included three flat-screen televisions, an Xbox One video game console, PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 video game consoles, two Net tablets, a Samsung Galaxy phone and nine baseball caps.
• On Jan. 12, someone reported the burglary of a home in the 1100 block of Drew Street. Stolen items included three televisions, three PlayStation video game consoles, a Super Nintendo video game console, a deep freezer, a picture worth about $700 and five Ciroq peach alcoholic beverages. Two days later, a resident in the 1000 block of Drew Street reported a burglary with stolen items that included a flat-screen television, a Hewlett-Packard laptop and a bottle of tequila.
• On Jan. 16, someone reported the burglary of a home in the 1300 block of Liberty Street. Stolen items included Prada purses, two mirrors, two love seats and $5,000 cash.
• On Jan. 15, a 40-year-old man told police he was walking near Drew Street and Miami Boulevard about 5 p.m. when several men in a tan or gray Ford Expedition pulled up beside him. Two men got out and robbed him at gunpoint of his cash and wallet. The same victim said he was robbed by the same men 10 hours later near Juniper Street and Hyde Park Avenue, where they took his wedding ring.
• On Jan. 17, a 28-year-old man reported that he was robbed and beaten in the 700 block of North Alston Avenue. He was driving south on Alston at Liberty Street about 1 a.m. when he heard a disturbance at the intersection and slowed. Two men opened his driver’s side door, pulled him into the street and then hit him in the back of the head with a gun, struck him in the face and kicked him in the ribs. He was treated for injuries at a local hospital. The robbers took a cellphone, three cigarettes and $95 cash. No charges filed yet.
• On. Jan. 16, someone reported a burglary in the 100 block of Hidden Meadow Court. Stolen items included an Xbox 360 video game console, a PlayStation 3 video game console, jewelry, shoes, a Dell laptop computer, video games and a camera.
• Thomas Andready Hunt, 33, of Taylor Street in Durham was arrested Wednesday and charged with possession with intent to manufacture, sell or deliver a Schedule II controlled substance, possession of a Schedule VI controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was released from Durham County Jail after posting $20,000 bond.
Wes Platt can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-419-6684. Follow on Twitter at @HS_WesPlatt. Connect on Facebook at facebook.com/wesplattheraldsun.