Another dryer fire damages Durham house

May. 23, 2014 @ 02:13 PM

For the second time this week, a clothes dryer fire has damaged a house in Durham, fire officials said.

Firefighters were called at 4 a.m. Friday to a two-story home at 4020 Ellisfield Drive in the American Village subdivision in western Durham, said Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi of the Durham Fire Department.

One resident was home and escaped without injury.

The fire started in the dryer and damaged a laundry room and adjacent room, he said. Smoke damaged the rest of the house.

Iannuzzi said the house could not be re-occupied immediately, but the resident did not need Red Cross help.

The resident told fire officials that he saw smoke coming from the bottom of the dryer, but the exact cause is being investigated.

Twenty-two firefighters responded and were on scene almost two hours.

On Tuesday, firefighters were called to a dryer fire at 404 Cook Road off Fayetteville Street. No one was hurt.

Fire officials emphasized the importance of cleaning a dryer's lint filter after each load and periodically cleaning the dryer vent to ensure it's clear from the dryer to the outside vent.