Dryer fire damages Durham house

May. 20, 2014 @ 10:40 PM

A burning clothes dryer damaged a house Tuesday afternoon, Durham fire officials said. No one was hurt.

Firefighters were called at 5:36 p.m. to 404 Cook Road and saw smoke at the front door, said Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi of the Durham Fire Department.

They quickly extinguished a small fire behind the dryer. Two adults were home at the time and escaped.

Firefighters reported minor fire damage to the wall behind the dryer and some smoke damage throughout the house.

The house remained habitable and the Red Cross was not notified.

Twenty-two firefighters responded to the fire and units were on the scene for 45 minutes.

Iannuzzi said the fire started in the dryer, but the exact cause is being investigated.