Fire damages American Village duplex, 12 people displaced

May. 17, 2014 @ 04:36 PM

Fire damaged a two-story duplex Friday afternoon in the American Village subdivision in western Durham, leaving 12 people displaced, officials said.

No one was hurt.

Firefighters were called at 5:18 p.m. to 14 Tarawa Terrace off American Drive and saw smoke at the front door, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi of the Durham Fire Department said.

The fire started in the kitchen when teenagers were cooking and forgot about it, he said.

Iannuzzi said the blaze was confined to the stove, hood and cabinet, and was extinguished quickly.

There was fire, smoke and water damage to the right-side apartment. The other side sustained only minor smoke damage.

One adult and nine children were home at the time, but two adults and 10 children were displaced by the fire. The Red Cross is helping them with emergency housing.

Twenty-three firefighters responded to the call. Crews were on the scene about an hour.