Prosecutors to seek death penalty in boy’s shooting

Mar. 04, 2014 @ 04:55 PM

Prosecutors will seek the death penalty against a Durham man accused in the fatal January shooting of a 9-year-old boy who was riding in a car with his mother.
Durham County District Attorney Leon Stanback confirmed Tuesday that his office will seek the death penalty against Everett Lamont Graves, 23. He declined to elaborate.
Graves is accused of murder in the shooting of Jaeden Sharpe, who was with his mom, Lakeisha Holloway, in an SUV when both were shot about 6 p.m. Jan. 4 on Lucas Drive. Jaeden died six days later after he was taken off life support.
Stanback said a Rule 24 hearing, in which a judge will determine if the state’s case meets requirements for the death penalty, will be held. Court officials said it’s set for the week of April 7.
Police investigators said the shooting did not appear to be random, but they’ve released few other details about the death.
Jaeden was a student at W.G. Pearson Magnet Elementary School in Durham.
A tribute was held last month for Jaeden at an annual charity basketball tournament at the Emily K. Family Life Center, and a nonprofit was created in Jaeden’s honor.
Graves remained in the Durham County Jail on Tuesday under bonds totaling $1.75 million.