Fire displaces 6 children, 1 adult

Aug. 21, 2014 @ 03:24 PM

Six children and an adult were displaced when their home caught fire Wednesday morning and destroyed several rooms, fire officials said. No one was hurt.

City firefighters were called at 11:29 a.m. to a one-story house at 205 W. Weaver St., about one-half mile from N.C Central University.
They saw light smoke coming from the front door and flames in the kitchen, Deputy Chief Chris Iannuzzi of the Durham Fire Department said.
The fire quickly intensified as the first fire truck was arriving, but firefighters brought it under control in a few minutes, he said.
Six children and an adult were home when the fire started, Iannnuzzi said. The kitchen, dining room and living room were destroyed.
The rest of the first floor had heavy smoke damage, and the basement had minor water damage.
Red Cross workers arrived to help the family with emergency housing and food.
The fire was caused by cooking oil that got too hot and ignited in a pan, Iannuzzi said.
Twenty-one firefighters responded to the call and were on the scene about 90 minutes.